Lake Finds - Identification Help?

hellokelly

Feb 13, 2019
Minneapolis, MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a link to a folder of photos of I took this summer after wiping out down the embankment of a fairly large lake in Minnesota and ending up on my butt in the water. Nice place.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1ESmrPrGLuajc189ARRDZMjLF08ixwLw7

Can anyone give me any information about these? I won't bring up the looks-like-an-animal factor this time, unless someone gets that ball rolling first:occasion14:

(If I need to post the photos in here as opposed to giving a link for whatever reason, I apologize and can do that.)

Thank you!

Upvote 0

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, you'll get more exposure if you post the pics here.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not artifacts. Why do you think they are? First time you have seen broken rocks?

OP
OP
H

hellokelly

Feb 13, 2019
Minneapolis, MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not artifacts. Why do you think they are? First time you have seen broken rocks?

Wow. Good one. Original AND efficiently thought-provoking at the same time. Thank you for posing such a meaningful, necessary comment and planting such an invaluable seed for me to mull over for days on end...

But in all seriousness, thank you for taking the time to look at them. I do appreciate the facts and feedback. Your jabs need some work though.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure there’s much info to give other than identifying the material / type of stone if you post them under geofacts forum you could find out but as far as artifact info there’s none because they are just naturally formed rocks

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's not at all uncommon for people who have no experience with artifacts to wonder if rocks that are just rocks might be artifacts. There is a learning curve involved. One way to not go about entering onto that learning curve is to just pick up rocks and ask or wonder "is this an artifact"? That is truly a fruitless approach. The best way to enter onto that learning curve is to view true artifacts from your region as much as possible. If there are museums/displays in your neck of the woods that display Native American artifacts, visit them. If you can see private collections, do so. I realize both suggestions may not be easy. There are books that will at least provide lots of examples of the various classes of artifacts. They don't have to feature artifacts from Mn., stone tools are similar across regions.

Bottom line: you need to see as many real artifacts as possible. You need to learn what real stone artifacts actually look like. You've got to build up as many images in your mind of real stone artifacts so you can recognize one on the ground when you see it. You cannot do this by starting with no clear ideas of what they look like, and then looking. Sure, by sheer luck, you may find a projectile point or other artifact, but you are putting yourself at a severe disadvantage by not viewing as many real stone artifacts as possible, first and foremost. You're skipping that first step. Therefore making things impossibly difficult for yourself.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Links like that , some of us will not click on in fear of a virus or something--post your pics here for more views :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
H

hellokelly

Feb 13, 2019
Minneapolis, MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not at all uncommon for people who have no experience with artifacts to wonder if rocks that are just rocks might be artifacts. There is a learning curve involved. One way to not go about entering onto that learning curve is to just pick up rocks and ask or wonder "is this an artifact"? That is truly a fruitless approach. The best way to enter onto that learning curve is to view true artifacts from your region as much as possible. If there are museums/displays in your neck of the woods that display Native American artifacts, visit them. If you can see private collections, do so. I realize both suggestions may not be easy. There are books that will at least provide lots of examples of the various classes of artifacts. They don't have to feature artifacts from Mn., stone tools are similar across regions.

Bottom line: you need to see as many real artifacts as possible. You need to learn what real stone artifacts actually look like. You've got to build up as many images in your mind of real stone artifacts so you can recognize one on the ground when you see it. You cannot do this by starting with no clear ideas of what they look like, and then looking. Sure, by sheer luck, you may find a projectile point or other artifact, but you are putting yourself at a severe disadvantage by not viewing as many real stone artifacts as possible, first and foremost. You're skipping that first step. Therefore making things impossibly difficult for yourself.

Thank you, Charl. I've done loads of internet research, but nothing beats the real thing. You're right. Not to make excuses or itake any glory away from my wall of failure here, but I had a thought..

I was born and raised in Alaska and spent the first 18 years of my life on an island, 252 miles from the mainland, and that is what I saw for 18 years. Not a wide variety of geographic material. When I moved to Minnesota, suddenly there were a million different types of trees and plants and rocks and the leaves actually changed colors and fell in the fall, and I think I'm still stuck in that phase, unfortunately.

Thank you for my weekly therapy session. I'll send the check to your secretary.

For now, I shall keep on being curious and mix in some learning along the way.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Screenshot_20190101-132214_Facebook.jpg
Looks good to me!��

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Don't look like any of them have been worked. Check the edges closer and see if any of them have been worked by something striking them. I am a flint knapper and if I found them I would strike one of them on an edge with another rock to see what happens.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you, Charl. I've done loads of internet research, but nothing beats the real thing. You're right. Not to make excuses or itake any glory away from my wall of failure here, but I had a thought..

I was born and raised in Alaska and spent the first 18 years of my life on an island, 252 miles from the mainland, and that is what I saw for 18 years. Not a wide variety of geographic material. When I moved to Minnesota, suddenly there were a million different types of trees and plants and rocks and the leaves actually changed colors and fell in the fall, and I think I'm still stuck in that phase, unfortunately.

Thank you for my weekly therapy session. I'll send the check to your secretary.

For now, I shall keep on being curious and mix in some learning along the way.

That's a unique upbringing for sure. Doesn't sound like city living, lol. You'll get the hang of it. Get permisssion to walk farmland if possible. Turned over fields, near fresh water, after heavy rains. That might be hard to come by too, don't know. Settle for dirt near water. State/local archaeological societies will have collectors as members, you might find helpful hands that way.

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Artifacts or not I have no idea, but keep thinking for yourself.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. Good one. Original AND efficiently thought-provoking at the same time. Thank you for posing such a meaningful, necessary comment and planting such an invaluable seed for me to mull over for days on end...

But in all seriousness, thank you for taking the time to look at them. I do appreciate the facts and feedback. Your jabs need some work though.

Wasn't intended as a jab. You obviously have a computer, so you can look at artifacts to your heart's content. So, why do you think these look like actual artifacts? Also, you mention you were raised on an island in AK, so I know now you have seen plenty of broken rocks. Therefore, back to the first question. Keep looking. Good luck.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any artifacts there either, but I wouldn't doubt that if you spend some time walking those shorelines, you stand a good chance of finding something. Train those eyes and the best of luck.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a look at your photos and I have to agree with the others, everything in your pictures are natural stones.

Check out these pictures. The first picture shows pieces from Minnesota. These are some of the Point types you will find in your state.

The other pictures are all finds of Stone Tools from Ohio and Kentucky and show Axes, Celts, Pestles, Stone Hoes, and Hammerstones. Study these and look for these in your area.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    729.2 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    773.8 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    972.2 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg