Great day out!!! Some nice artifacts and a BIG whats it?

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20190217_192138786.jpg
IMG_20190217_192100298.jpg
IMG_20190217_192120457.jpg
This bone is HEAVY its def petrified rock now, I believe it was already that way when it was worked on, Would Love to hear any of anyones thoughts on this, pretty exited.
IMG_20190217_192043477.jpg
I think another little dalton barely missing the tip, small base of a random point, a kinfe with top missing and the big one thats complete not sure if its a axe or preform...
IMG_20190217_192403583.jpg
close to size of pop can...
IMG_20190217_192339617.jpg
Again any feedback or identifications greatly appreciated, I find all my stuff in one location on private property no one else hunts. I have piles and piles of flakes and brokes, i think there is some great stuff at this location waiting to be found. Thanks for looking, happy hunting.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nate in Ga

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20190217_200117892.jpg is
Drilled through on each end

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! That one in the last pic looks a little paleoish to me.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
That's a big bone.

The drill mark is a natural hole in the bone called a foramen (hole in latin), many times they were used by Native Americans to split or further drill bone.

The work marks on it are rodent chews. Squirrels and other animals nibble on bones to get calcium and minerals.

It looks massive, it could still be a fossil of some ancient beast but I'm not seeing an ancient tool there.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some nice artifact saves. The bone looks to be chiseled, unless it was gnawed on by a beaver. You say it is hard as rock...…..interested to see what the pros say.

OP
OP
Nate in Ga

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a big bone.

The drill mark is a natural hole in the bone called a foramen (hole in latin), many times they were used by Native Americans to split or further drill bone.

The work marks on it are rodent chews. Squirrels and other animals nibble on bones to get calcium and minerals.

It looks massive, it could still be a fossil of some ancient beast but I'm not seeing an ancient tool there.

Thanks for the input, Im not sure of its significance if any to the people living where im digging but its 100% a fossil its not a bone anymore its a rock, its extremely heavy, check out the front in the first post is that what you think is chewing from animals, i dont think the work on this is the white scratches in the patina on the other side.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big, heavyset animal. I don't know the names. How about cowasaurus?

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Thanks for the input, Im not sure of its significance if any to the people living where im digging but its 100% a fossil its not a bone anymore its a rock, its extremely heavy, check out the front in the first post is that what you think is chewing from animals, i dont think the work on this is the white scratches in the patina on the other side.

Yes, the first picture shows the gnaw marks. Pretty typical for smaller animals to chew on the exposed side of big bones and leave the downward side untouched. This site has some pictures, the teeth marks are pretty distinctive, you should be able to compare them with pictures.

Fossil Matter: Rodents gnaw bones

OP
OP
Nate in Ga

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some nice artifact saves. The bone looks to be chiseled, unless it was gnawed on by a beaver. You say it is hard as rock...…..interested to see what the pros say.
its harder than the other rocks in this area, you cand scrape anything from its surface, the greenish on the back is the side that was facing up to the sky in a dried creek bed feeding into the james river

OP
OP
Nate in Ga

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the first picture shows the gnaw marks. Pretty typical for smaller animals to chew on the exposed side of big bones and leave the downward side untouched. This site has some pictures, the teeth marks are pretty distinctive, you should be able to compare them with pictures.

Fossil Matter: Rodents gnaw bones

yeah it looks strikingly similar Josh! so what ever nawed on said bone would have done it before it petrified or fosilized right, so these would be prehistoric squirrels at least? lol

OP
OP
Nate in Ga

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds , some sweet blades in there looks like a great site are they all surface finds or some digging to

I pick around in some plow piles and creek bed walls, but mostly surface finds where land owner has moved around large areas of dirt and ripped the ground up for reasons unrelated to the search of artifacts, its a pretty significant site im guessing by how much stuff is there everytime he moves just a bit of dirt, he doesnt really care much about the stuff now, sais he has buckets of the "****" he picked up his whole life living on the land...

OP
OP
Nate in Ga

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20190217_210823116.jpg
One more almost from the flake pile today

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a nice one too , do you find mostly one time frame of artifacts or a mix .... do you think those are early archaic or older ?

OP
OP
Nate in Ga

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a nice one too , do you find mostly one time frame of artifacts or a mix .... do you think those are early archaic or older ?

Im not an expert, this is by far the best site ive ever had privilege to hunt... i think there is multi time period stuff here, and there is dalton points there i know for sure. hoping someone knows more about anything i post to identify the people, I do live in an area thats crazy for hunting native american artifacts tho, im only a few hours down from the kohoke mounds or whatever twords the santa fe trail

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Nate nice finds. The bone looks Bos/Bovid which means a high probability of Bison or Cow. The bone is a metacarpal and Josh is right those are definitely chew marks. If a fossil it more then likely is an Ancient Bison the Bison before the one now. It looks like it was found in or near water. If so let it dry for a few days then check the look and weight again. Sometimes the old look and the weight change when it dries out. If found near water a bone can mineralize with in a short time.

A 400 year old bone can feel and look like a fossil. So Cow wouldnt be ruled out nor would todays Bison. Post it on the fossil forum and see what they say.

Last edited:

roscoelux

Mar 20, 2015
N . Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bone

I have found a gnawed on petrified bone fragment too, in a creek bed in Texas. 1 1/2" x 1 3/8" bone1.jpg bone1.jpg bone2.jpg

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What jamus peek said.

OP
OP
Nate in Ga

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the replies, I really appreciate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread