EVER seen ANYTHING like this before?

BloodMoon

Mar 7, 2019
Gilbert, Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
9E6A4293-D247-414D-8783-BF41BDC8EA23.png
Wasn’t even looking. Stone was solidly embedded in ground and I kicked it several times until it flipped over. It was covered in hardened dirt. I thought I saw something on it so I cleaned it off and wow, wasn’t expecting this. It was next to my home in a gated community just over the
Wall where there is a canal. Arizona.

THEN, I broke a dirt clod next to it snd this popped out!
5C510F97-A9D1-4516-8990-FF49C8A915A2.png

Anyone seen anything like this stone before?

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm .... I’d say planted there by someone either that or your just messing with people , do you mind posting the arrowhead in same pic as lizard rock

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Unless the point is 1 inch long or so, it likely originated a 1000+ miles to the east in the Midwest. It looks like the well used leftovers of an early Archaic Dovetail made from material found in Kentucky or Tennessee.

Horntoad petroglyphs aren’t uncommon, but the color is odd. Also odd to find an old one on a loose rock, but quite common for modern art pieces to be painted on portable rocks. The flower bed at my old house has some similar items.

OP
OP
BloodMoon

BloodMoon

Mar 7, 2019
Gilbert, Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Definitely not messing with people. What I haven’t posted yet is everything else I found over months and many hours searching and digging in that area. I’ll see if I can find a pic of both together along with other finds that lead me to believe this stone is of ancient origin...because of context it was found in.

OP
OP
BloodMoon

BloodMoon

Mar 7, 2019
Gilbert, Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here are pictures that both show them on the same display table in my RV garage as well as a pic with both in the same picture, but different bins. All these finds were in this same vicinity!
909B2EE1-1F51-4E71-86B4-5D6239D4D3C8.png
66AD8CD8-B3B6-4248-91D2-E03BD7AB69B0.png
6180B3FA-4D9A-4637-A3A9-EAB1CA41D76D.jpeg

You’ll obviously have to zoom in, but this is only a fraction of what I’ve found there.

Hmmm .... I’d say planted there by someone either that or your just messing with people , do you mind posting the arrowhead in same pic as lizard rock

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, Chandler would be within the Hohokam culture area. Now, certain phases of Hohokam pottery were known for repeated painted renditions of animals, birds, humans, covering the outer portion of the pottery vessel. Here is one such example of a repeated human figure commonly found on Hohokam pottery:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bclee/3361944444

One notices that the figures are all the same, but, since they are hand painted, they are not each identical to the other. Your piece is of course stone.

Now, someone pointed out it looks like they were made from the same stencil. However, looking at the gap between the lower left leg of the lower horned toad, and the body of that toad, that gap seems a little wider then the gap between the lower left leg of the upper toad, and its body, suggesting to me that there is at least that slight difference between the two, and therefore not made from the same stencil. I could be mistaken, it's a judgement call, but actual measurements could be made to confirm or not.

So, repeated figures are common on Hohokam pottery. It might suggest Hohokam for your rock. Certainly, painted designs will survive in your arid climate, on rock, as well as on pottery. What is truly odd, at least in my experience, is the green color. I have never seen that color pigment on their pottery before, but I'm no authority. So, perhaps someone with greater knowledge of Hohokam culture and artifacts could help you here.

And we certainly cannot rule out Joshuaream's suggestion that the stone fragment could be modern in origin....

Last edited:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Charl picked up on the green color as well, that’s an odd one. It’s really hard to do on pottery where it is baked on, but I couldn’t find any ancient examples on rock art where it is likely not heated beyond what the sun can do on a hot day. You can look at hundreds or thousands of pictures of painted Arizona rock art, and not see anything that green (aside from leaves/plants and shrubs that happen to be growing nearby.)

I don’t doubt you found it, my apologies if it came across that way.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, someone pointed out it looks like they were made from the same stencil. However, looking at the gap between the lower left leg of the lower horned toad, and the body of that toad, that gap seems a little wider then the gap between the lower left leg of the upper toad, and its body, suggesting to me that there is at least that slight difference between the two, and therefore not made from the same stencil. I could be mistaken, it's a judgement call, but actual measurements could be made to confirm or not...

Also seeing differences in the body between the back legs and tail as well.

OP
OP
BloodMoon

BloodMoon

Mar 7, 2019
Gilbert, Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The picture does make them look green, but they’re actually turquoise. Ill try and post one that shows their true color. Thank you for your insight. Lots of great information. I would lean much more toward it being more modern if it wasn’t for all the context surrounding it. I took about a 10% sampling of what I found to the head archeologist at the Heard museum here and her jaw hit the ground. She said everything appeared legit, some of the arrowheads dating back 5-7 thousand years ago. Many of the pieces are native to different regions other than where I found them. She thought maybe it was some type of trading post or something.

OP
OP
BloodMoon

BloodMoon

Mar 7, 2019
Gilbert, Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome post and very observant. You are correct about the differences in measurement. If it’s of ancient origin it definitely is Hohokum. Certainly could be modern. I go back and forth. Thanks much!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it should be pretty easy to identify the paint or whatever it was that made the color. that would tell you a lot and is the first thing to do.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Can we get closeups of the TUBS?....:thumbsup:

OP
OP
BloodMoon

BloodMoon

Mar 7, 2019
Gilbert, Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Close ups

Here are some close ups.

Attachments

• 592478F0-4498-4693-8F3A-96E2ED062DA9.jpeg
    592478F0-4498-4693-8F3A-96E2ED062DA9.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Hi Bloodmoon, cool of you to circle back on this post.

More than a couple of points in that bin look a lot like points from the Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee area.

How big of an area did all this come from? Spread over acres, or concentrated into to smaller area?

They obviously didn't, but everything you have posted in the bin could have come from one of the flower beds at a house I used to own in Louisville Kentucky. (Pot shards, crystals, paint rocks, polished rocks, broken points, some South American relics, shells from the beach, antlers, etc. In a hundred years if it's found it could confuse someone if somehow it were taken out of context.)

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
There are three points in that picture I would be overjoyed to find. Points are mid-central (Ohio/Ky/Ind).

Pottery's pretty obviously from the southwest though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread