"Tools"

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a pretty common misconception among people interested in artifacts that only bifaces (flaked on both sides) with more or less recognizable forms are really "artifacts" and everything else "just rocks."

I'm here to point out that this idea completely collapses when an attempt is made to apply it to tools made previously to the very end of the Pleistocene (the "ice age"), anywhere. In fact, and completely unsuspected by most people in the Western Hemisphere in general, elaborate categories exist of flaked stone tools have been compiled by archaeologists, made and used over the course of a much longer time than people are supposed to have been here -- and they look nothing like the hafted points, knives and scrapers we assume were the only ones that were "real" artifacts.

A useful little teaser bearing on this appeared this morning:
https://www.sott.net/article/408923...Neanderthal-workshop-with-17000-flint-objects

Notice also (in the picture) the number of round, water-worn pebbles found in association with these.

The point isn't that there were the Neanderthals here who made these; it's that the things they left for us to find were, and no doubt about it, tools. That being the case, the argument that similarly unsophisticated items found here could not have been tools collapses.

Anyone interested could easily start by looking up (search term) Mousterian and clicking on Images. From there, one thing leads to another.

FWIW

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think most would recognize those as tools .... sharp , worked flint ... you would be foolish not to recognize them the problem is when people post dull unworked river cobbles and claim they are something other than that

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a good collection of quartz tools that would be and have been quickly rejected here. That may be personal but it seems to happen to others as well.

Last edited:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I have a good collection of quartz tools that would be and have been quickly rejected here. That may be personal but it seems to happen to others as well.

Similarly, I have a bunch of tools, that if anyone else besides me posted them, I would reject them because the picture doesn't tell the whole story. I know they are tools because of where I found them, because of the details I can see, because how it fits the hand etc. But if you were to post it, I would scoff at it :laughing7:

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Similarly, I have a bunch of tools, that if anyone else besides me posted them, I would reject them because the picture doesn't tell the whole story. I know they are tools because of where I found them, because of the details I can see, because how it fits the hand etc. But if you were to post it, I would scoff at it :laughing7:

Well said.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sorry to say this but ANY rock can fit your hand if you play with it long enough. There are a lot of {mostly new} people that post rocks on here that fit their hands and then have hissy fits when people with lots more experience tell them the truth.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are all Uniface Tools from one site. These are everywhere if you take the time to pick them up and keep them. I actually find these Tools in piles of Flint other hunters throw down.

All of these have an edge worked on them somewhere and some of them have very fine flaking along the edges.

Also, for those that see faces you'll have a couple surprises in there. lol

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 104
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    659.1 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    663 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    580.3 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    670.8 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    710.4 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    575.4 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    718.5 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    680.9 KB · Views: 97

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sorry to say this but ANY rock can fit your hand if you play with it long enough. There are a lot of {mostly new} people that post rocks on here that fit their hands and then have hissy fits when people with lots more experience tell them the truth.

I have a thick skin, but this even messed me up for a little. Try and give people a break, somehow it can mess with your head.

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are all Uniface Tools from one site. These are everywhere if you take the time to pick them up and keep them. I actually find these Tools in piles of Flint other hunters throw down.

All of these have an edge worked on them somewhere and some of them have very fine flaking along the edges.

Also, for those that see faces you'll have a couple surprises in there. lol

I guess the question is if that stuff is representative of an older style or just expedient tools. My gut says one of the hominids was here earlier than can be proven, and that’s what keeps me interested. It seems whole genome sequencing will eventually sort it out.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the question is if that stuff is representative of an older style or just expedient tools. My gut says one of the hominids was here earlier than can be proven, and that’s what keeps me interested. It seems whole genome sequencing will eventually sort it out.

Here are the two other trays from this site. I also have a nice Bell Pestle, a Plummet, broken Axes, lots of stone Hoes, etc from this site. It is predominately a Woodlamd site I believe.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    770.9 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    800.5 KB · Views: 134

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus

I would agree. But just "fitting your hand" wasn't the only criteria I used.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I just love that micro flaking some of Steve's pieces show.

Bottom pic in the row on the right has a real nice example.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that little celt in the center!

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
I brought home 30# of flakes last year like Reaper posted in his first picture and all from one site. Most all are percussion flakes from the flintknapper. Some edges work and some not. I plan on making an arrowhead frame out of them much like my pottery sherd frame. No one really knows if the knapper didn't reach down and pick up a flake and use it to cut something and throw it back down on the ground. That flake just turned into a useful tool.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Expiedient tools are real. Being able to asertain what is/isn't is the issue. If a ancient being picked up a rock to break a nut or drive a stake that rock is a tool. The instant he throws it back on the ground it is just another rock. Grimms assembladge are clearly tools as are a lot of single faced flakes.
When one begins picking up rocks near known sites or because they look like they could have been used as a tool it becomes a free for all. Personally if it immediately doesn't look man made I don't give it much attention. If I have to have a 4 screen debate as to wether a rock is just that or something that was possibly usedas a "tool" I'll just toss it back. JMHO

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been collecting Indian relics for 55 years and i still pick up and bring home "ROCKS" because, sometimes, I'm just not sure or the brain is not working right from low blood sugar. I have kept buckets full of broke relics and truckloads of rocks. If you are not sure about a piece that you have found, there is no better place than right here to get an ID or verification. If the majority of the responces say that it is a rock, don't whine and insult the very people that are trying to help you learn. If you are a beginner , try to find someone local that can take you out and show you what to look for. I have taken dozens of newbies out and they have all found something worth taking home. I usually take a case of finds that are local to that site so they get an idea what to look for. A lot of times, i have seen a point exposed and i take my flipping stick and draw a 2ft. circle around the piece and then invite my guest over to find it. I very rarely keep anything that i find when hunting with other people anymore but they have a great time and LEARN. I took a friend several years ago to a nice woodland camp. He is a very exictable guy and every two steps would pick up a rock and yell "HEY, LOOK AT THIS! After about an hour, I was ready to kill him and I looked down to see a nice small celt. I was drawing a circle around it and heard "HEY, LOOK At THIS" and as I turned to look , he was holding a beautiful 9 inch long celt. I kept the one that I found and he still has his and still tells everyone about that hunt.

Last edited:

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One issue I have found is there is more to life than work. Not everything is a tool, and just because the use isn’t obvious doesn’t mean there isn’t one and it couldn’t be deciphered. Art, toys, and instruments of stone can all be found where I’m looking and probably where you are as well.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the best bet is to only post tools that show evidence of being used . That way you won't get your feelings hurt every time you post a rock .

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the best bet is to only post tools that show evidence of being used . That way you won't get your feelings hurt every time you post a rock .[/

Sounds about as much fun as an accounting class.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian Steve hit the" tool on the head"! I am new to the hobby and this little forum, but it amazes me how many threads are not only started but persist with people posting stuff and insisting it is some sort of artifact. Even as a newbie it is ridiculous as they post find after find trying to imagine it is some sort of artifact. Now I know we are all here to learn ( me included) but some of these people have to give it up. Just recently someone posted nice quartz point and a rock that he is seeing a face on ; are you kidding me? These people need to stop breaking the Prozac in half and take a full tablet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread