Stone art found with arrowhead... maybe?

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These were found an inch from one another in the knapping site I’m digging. Thoughts on the yellow stone? To me it looks like a face, and even more so in person. But that is no assertion! For me the word “effigy” has always been Latin for loony bin. Thanks

2B51B829-D46A-4539-93A4-5C0CD2E4E7CA.jpeg

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
arrowhead yes, stone art no in my opinion.

OP
OP
kyphote

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Other angles for additional opinions below:

Quartering:

F60B394C-7F3E-4D2A-8703-5FBB717F2331.jpeg

Back of “head”:

EC4B1988-E97E-434C-9E10-7FD51A816AE2.jpeg

Profile:

03CAC67E-F103-4D6A-9E99-E37A6C96AA7E.jpeg

Frontal:

C9F0A0F3-683E-4563-AE8F-F46D4BD3F0DC.jpeg

The rock has a yellowish waxy sheen to it unlike any other rock texture I’ve pulled from the site. I am in no way building a case (I’m usually the first to shoot down effigies) just want to provide all the facts. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quartz arrow head yes, the other is simply a rock.

Last edited:

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the arrowhead. Now that you mention it the rock looks like Richard Nixon.

OP
OP
kyphote

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. That's the reality check I needed and expected. I'm not sure you can see it in the "profile" pic due to glare, but a portion of the stone is somehow tinted. Photoshop has a tool called "color burn" that will detect any color (however faint) and intensify it. Below is how that tool -- not me -- interprets the stone pigment-wise. Obviously coincidence and maybe a clay stain (rock was buried in red clay). Crazy though. Thanks again for your collective instincts. It's another lame rock, I agree.

side2.png

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quartz point is a dandy. You asked before about age. I'm not good with typology, but the side notches and serrations have a very Early Archaic look about them.

As others have said, the other is just a cool looking rock. If out of place, maybe someone long ago thought it was cool looking too and carried it around a while.

The flat quartzite cobble in the background, right is very nice. I've broken up many like that to make stuff out of!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
if it was an effigy you would be saying "wow, look at the effigy i found"...not "is this an effigy?"

OP
OP
kyphote

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quartz point is a dandy. You asked before about age. I'm not good with typology, but the side notches and serrations have a very Early Archaic look about them.

As others have said, the other is just a cool looking rock. If out of place, maybe someone long ago thought it was cool looking too and carried it around a while.

The flat quartzite cobble in the background, right is very nice. I've broken up many like that to make stuff out of!

Thank you! Great to know about the cobble. Loads of those stacked and unstruck about a foot below the worked stuff. Maybe a couple 100 so far.

Apart from the cobble, the site has a lot of crazy rock and mineral varieties. We're on a fault but I still struggle with where they found some of this material. Last week I started studying geology just to keep up. Wish they left more of the finished stuff.

Last question: a lot of rocks are small, brown and incredibly smooth; almost rubbery. Thousands of those. Seems like the artifacts I find are always with them, and the ground in those patches -- which can be as small as 2x2' -- is suddenly gritty. Anyone know what that's about?

Thanks also for your thoughts on the period. Maybe my shot at Paleo is improving.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread