Nice Adena

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t had much time to hunt so I’m taking any chance I get this was a lunch break find. The tide was super high so I wasn’t expecting anything but got lucky and found 2 nice ones.
I found this smaller one first and I was surprised to even find it. It’s got some really nice flaking on it and the one side has a large flake / chunk missing I can’t believe the point didn’t break. Found looking thru about 6” of water
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552670654.710951.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552670672.178459.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552670682.997924.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552670702.696878.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552670720.447639.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552670770.552121.jpg
I was heading back afer I found the small one and saw what looked like red clay in the water which normally I wouldn’t even had checked this but edge caught me eye ... I couldn’t believe it I think it’s an Adena which I don’t find many of them at all so a cool find it has some neat colors .... red and orange stripes I’m not sure if about the material
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552670968.289491.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552670984.745158.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552671004.581778.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552671030.750135.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552671057.932155.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552671079.367373.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552671093.551667.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552671102.296728.jpg

Upvote 0

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Must be nice to have hunting grounds close enough to do it at lunch. I'ma jelly for sure!

OP
OP
arrow86

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Must be nice to have hunting grounds close enough to do it at lunch. I'ma jelly for sure!

Haha yeah I’m lucky enough to be driving around a lot for work and there’s a few spots I can hit. The place I found those has a lot of other folks that also hunt it so I’m fortunate to have found those ... iv pulled 4 nice ones from there so far this spring I believe it’s due to more than usual beach / bank erosion over past few months.

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bet good hunt.That one may have been in fire sometime . I like the color in that big one too ,would that be a jasper? Great series of pics too.

OP
OP
arrow86

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bet good hunt.That one may have been in fire sometime . I like the color in that big one too ,would that be a jasper? Great series of pics too.

I believe it is jasper ... iv seen a few that have red and orange but usually jasper I find is much smoother .... who knows maybe that point has had a rough life

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That missing part is called a "pot lid". The point was probably laying under the dirt and someone came along and started a campfire over it. Rapid heating turned the moisture in the point to steam and it blew out. Gary

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool finds, both very interesting points !
Does the smaller one have a bit of the cortex still remaining on one side of the base, as it appears in one photo? If so, I would suggest it may be a broad example of our local Lamoka family of points. The cavity or fire pop on the one side is huge and unusual. It may in fact be a fire pop, but the edges of the cavity look unusually smooth, which makes me suspect that the cobble they made that point from may have had that indentation in it already, and they intentionally worked around it when making the point. I suppose since you found it on the shoreline the cavity edges could have been worn smooth in the surf, but the other edges of the point don't appear to worn much.

The large point is an unusual material and cool color combination. I would guess it is a grainy form of jasper, and a good material to make a heavy duty point from. Your on a roll, and I hope it continues. HH

OP
OP
arrow86

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds, both very interesting points !
Does the smaller one have a bit of the cortex still remaining on one side of the base, as it appears in one photo? If so, I would suggest it may be a broad example of our local Lamoka family of points. The cavity or fire pop on the one side is huge and unusual. It may in fact be a fire pop, but the edges of the cavity look unusually smooth, which makes me suspect that the cobble they made that point from may have had that indentation in it already, and they intentionally worked around it when making the point. I suppose since you found it on the shoreline the cavity edges could have been worn smooth in the surf, but the other edges of the point don't appear to worn much.

The large point is an unusual material and cool color combination. I would guess it is a grainy form of jasper, and a good material to make a heavy duty point from. Your on a roll, and I hope it continues. HH

Thanks , the smaller one does have a bit of Cortex on the base , I never considered a fire pop there’s a small inclusion in the very center of the indent not sure if that helps with anything I took a pic of it. I believe your correct about the grainy jasper being the material of the bigger point looks like it would be tough to work with but holds up well. Have you been having any luck this spring ?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552753635.966603.jpg

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks , the smaller one does have a bit of Cortex on the base , I never considered a fire pop there’s a small inclusion in the very center of the indent not sure if that helps with anything I took a pic of it. I believe your correct about the grainy jasper being the material of the bigger point looks like it would be tough to work with but holds up well. Have you been having any luck this spring ?
View attachment 1691410

Thanks for the info and extra photo. This photo seems to show the indented area as being a darker and shinier red color than the areas that have been worked down, leading me to further believe that the indentation was on the cobble before it was worked, rather than being fire popped off after the point was made. I can see the inclusion down it the pit, looks like some quartz or other material might have been included there. which adds interest.
I went looking out in my home field this past week, the ground hasn't been turned yet, just last years bean stubble eroded over the winter. I found a few chips and fire cracked rock, but no points or tools. Looks like a bad spring and year for me. I heard thru the grapevine that one of the farmers whose fields I've hunted I the last 10 years doesn't want anybody out in them anymore because of some deep footprints in left in one of his crop field last year. I haven't talked to him personally yet but it s doesn't sound good. Another good site I hunt has changed owners this winter, and I may be losing that one too. Gotta just enjoy the hunts we can get, and I hope some of my remaining spots get turned deep later this spring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread