What period?

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've scratched my head on this one and can't come to a certain conclusion. Does anyone know what period this is from? It's 4.5". I'm thinking late-woodland or later. Been looking through projectilepoints.net and can't find an answer. Found in Bath Co., Virginia. Thanks in advance.

Bath_Point.jpg

Upvote 0

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, I can't help. But welcome to TNet!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. I also think it's woodland, just an elongated triangle, as we call them here.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s huge for a triangle point ..... makes you wonder how many started that long originally before ending up the small 1”-2” triangles that are frequently found

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :occasion14:

A very nice piece, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
No idea, really. But I recall that there were large triangles made in the Kentucky area around the Early Archaic era (none that I know of from excavated contexts for a more specific date). FWIW.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of the Mineral Springs varient shown on p. 40 of Tully's book, Flint Blades and Projectile Points of the North American Indian. Mighty fine, whatever it is.

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea, really. But I recall that there were large triangles made in the Kentucky area around the Early Archaic era (none that I know of from excavated contexts for a more specific date). FWIW.

I had a similar thought. Did a little research and found two similar sized triangles believed to be used as knives excavated at sites along the Nottoway River (southeast Virginia), one associated with Fort Nottoway points, one with Kirk points, both of which are Early Archaic.

That said, I see the quandary. The shape is dead on for a Yadkin ( a Woodland triangle), even that little flair toward the base they often have, it's just twice the size that even a big example typically would be. The "elephant in the room" question has to be how sure are you that it's old? What is the material? Hows does this point compare to other stuff found in the area?

OP
OP
Huzzah!

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the insight everyone. I'm really not sure what type of material it is, but other pieces have been found in the vicinity that look like the same material seen here. It was found very close to multiple burial sites--site was excavated, professionally--but this piece was found before any excavation was done. I agree 100% about the shape--favors a few kinds I've seen as far as Woodland goes--but dang if the size of it doesn't make me question.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a similar thought. Did a little research and found two similar sized triangles believed to be used as knives excavated at sites along the Nottoway River (southeast Virginia), one associated with Fort Nottoway points, one with Kirk points, both of which are Early Archaic.

That said, I see the quandary. The shape is dead on for a Yadkin ( a Woodland triangle), even that little flair toward the base they often have, it's just twice the size that even a big example typically would be. The "elephant in the room" question has to be how sure are you that it's old? What is the material? Hows does this point compare to other stuff found in the area?

Great response. I agree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions