Slate Gorget Authenticity

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Using just a magnifying glass, I do not see any 'machine marks' like from a file, sandpaper, Dremel, or industrial grinding wheel.
The holes look like they were started wide, then taper narrower as the depth increased....and holes are drilled in from both sides.
I do not see any circular machine marks like a steel drill bit would leave inside the holes;
The drilled holes from each side do not line up perfectly - close, but they are offset a bit.
Both artifacts, but especially the Curvy One, exhibit tapering of the thickness from one end to the other. Curvey One actually bows to a significant extent.

Patina? I have no idea what patina on a slate gorget should look like vs. a modern reproduction.

I hope they are authentic, but more importantly I want to learn how to determine authenticity of slate gorgets and if these are indeed not authentic....I want to know!

Purchased at an estate sale in upstate New York. No provenance. Thanks for the help!

IMG_2296.JPG
IMG_2297.JPG
IMG_2298.JPG
IMG_2299.JPG
IMG_2300.JPG

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The holes on the bar don't look quite right. Are the holes tapered from both sides all the way to the middle or is there a straight hole in the center?

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
The color of materials in the holes both pieces appear different. First thing I noticed

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So that means the time interior stone has not been exposed to the environment as long as the exterior stone? And therefore the holes are modern?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I trust Indian Steve, he's an old timer as far as Indian culture and archeology are concerned - he began as a preteen, just a bit ago of course :) He'll give you straight on advice.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So explain to me how a 'faker' created a bowed, warped piece of slate, smooth as a spanked baby's butt....with no machine marks, no file marks. Dang.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So explain to me how a 'faker' created a bowed, warped piece of slate, smooth as a spanked baby's butt....with no machine marks, no file marks. Dang.

To answer your question they start with slate already bowed. The holes should be drilled from both sides and not have a the smooth center that appears in pictures. You would be surprised what fakers can do and the extent they go to. They even use acid to try to simulate patina on the artifacts.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that someone drilled it with a modern bit {straight edges} and then tapered each side to make it appear to be stone drilled. They had me excited until I noticed the holes. You aren't the first to buy a fake. I know that I have and i'm sure most collectors that buy relics have. Learn from it and move on.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't want to keep them, take them to a powwow and resell them as repros. Reenactors would buy them to wear.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am still learning, and proud of it... :happysmiley:

I took a second and third look at the holes, and took magnified photos. Cleaned out the holes with acetone. Cleaned surface with acetone, no color comes off, The rectangular gorget exhibits slightly tapered holes for 3 or 4 millimeters depth, but then the majority of the hole depth is perfectly cylindrical. Plus, I now see what I believe to be machine marks on the inside of the tapered portion of the holes. Do you agree they are 'machine marks' from a modern tool?

But the 'Curvy Gorget' exhibits a tapered hole all the way to the center, where the tapered hole from the opposite side meets up with it. No cylindrical holes. No machine marks.

Very interesting and informative. Thank you for making me go back for a second/third look. Nothing like experience. I am going to say the rectangular piece is a modern reproduction, but is there a chance the 'Curvy Gorget' is authentic? I am still open to education on the matter.

First 2 pics: tapered holes in 'Curvy Gorget' Second 2 pics: cylindrical holes on rectangular gorget

IMG_2308.JPG
IMG_2309.JPG
IMG_2310.JPG
IMG_2311.JPG

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How does someone produce tapered holes through slate with no 'machine marks' showing? What would be most helpful is a magnified/close-up pic of a 'correct', tapered, 'stone drilled' hole. Can't say that I have ever seen one....

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not liking the "swirl" marks in the third picture of the close ups. I can't say 100% for sure whether they are good or bad, but my gut says that I personally would not take a chance on either.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not liking the "swirl" marks in the third picture of the close ups. I can't say 100% for sure whether they are good or bad, but my gut says that I personally would not take a chance on either.

Agree, Grim, that is the rectangle gorget with cylindrical hole...agree its fake....but still holding out for curvy gorget with tapered holes. I plan on sending it out for authentication and will post here again when complete.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The drilling on the square one looks modern. The marks on the curved ones hole could easily be made with a flint drill. Flint drills leave drag marks because the cutting edge is not uniform. Looks like flint drilling to me. Modern or old? Not sure. Tool marks, whether made by an Indian or modern made can all be removed. It's a matter of polishing correctly with finer and finer grits. That's what lapidaries do...and some Indians did. Gary

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
To me those points which indicate a modern drill:
1) the pattern of the groove in the hole
2) the small nicks on the very rim edge are chatter marks where the drill skips, both have these marks
3) the bar has a center hole which appears to be cylindrical in shape, the conical holes should have met. this looks like to me the stone was drilled then countersunk to give the conical hole appearance.

In those slate relics I have found, often one side of the hole has more wear from the suspension strap. On the one hole slate it likely would have been on the side closest towards the rim, and I see no wear there.
hole_marks.png

hole_marks2.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread