GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back out to the historic Native American site today that I've been metal detecting after finding the tomahawk or trade axe yesterday. (I posted the axe on "Today's Finds yesterday) Today, was shotgun shell and beer can day and I wasn't really finding too much of what I was looking for. Close to the end of the hunt, I was walking along in the field and spotted what I thought at first was a 4" PVC pipe cap laying about 75 feet away. Thinking that it was odd for a pipe cap to be out in the middle of no where, I walked closer and found this discoal laying out in the sun in plain view. I'm sure glad that I checked it! It's going to clean up well and has itself a new home in the display cabinet.

Attachments

• Discoal - Lee Co. Georgia 2019 (1).JPG
    Discoal - Lee Co. Georgia 2019 (1).JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 677
  • Discoal - Lee Co. Georgia 2019 (2).JPG
    Discoal - Lee Co. Georgia 2019 (2).JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 291
  • Discoal - Lee Co. Georgia 2019 (4).JPG
    Discoal - Lee Co. Georgia 2019 (4).JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 262
  • Discoal - Lee Co. Georgia 2019 (3).JPG
    Discoal - Lee Co. Georgia 2019 (3).JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 1

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
These games, much like some of the ball games played in Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America and into South America were probably pretty significant events. From carved shell gorgets and a couple of pipes from Spiro and Cahokia we know that at least sometimes players were heavily adorned in displays of wealth and body art.

For players of the game, life, death and wealth were certainly on the table. For the big ceremonial centers (Cahokia, Etowah, Spiro, etc.) they likely had multiple purposes. The first theory is that games like these probably resolved a lot of issues at the local level and helped keep the masses happy (a bit like watching gladiators and other big games in the Coliseum kept the Romans entertained.) The other theory is that these games helped provide structure for interaction between big population centers. The big mound groups on the map below were probably friendly at times, and perhaps hostile at other times. Structured games like this probably had a role in diplomacy between the groups, like they did with the Mayans down in Mesoamerica, or like the Olympics and other international exhibition games do now a days.

Mississippian_cultures.jpg

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the difference between the biscuit discoidal that GaReb1861 found and the dished ones? Were they both used in the same way?

OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the difference between the biscuit discoidal that GaReb1861 found and the dished ones? Were they both used in the same way?

I believe that it was the same game but different styles of a discoil. I've seen others that were found here locally (Same County) that were much smaller. There was another one found at this same site back in the mid 1980s that was about the size of a half dollar and was made from green stone. The guy that found it still has it in his collection. I'll see if I can get a picture of it for you to see.

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats my friend!!! Glad you found it. You are becoming a banner magnet you know? Glad you called and told me about it

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner. I would rather have your luck than all the skill in the world!:notworthy:

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
thats a pretty sweet find.

How close to a water source is the location?

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
would observe that "discoidal" is an adjective related to the shape, not the use
I will post a different form in the Central American section.

Bill

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
Some here in North Ga. call discoids biscuits. I have found several discoids but none as thick or as good material. That is an artifact to treasure. Thanks for its display for us.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldnt think of a better person to find that beauty, congrats

Huntster54

Jan 26, 2017
Detector(s) used
Antique whites TR-goldmaster

Under water model to be posted
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like in all tribes, I would also submit that the youngsters had their own smaller versions to play with to mimic the adults as not everything was totally ceremonial and political with their games. Children will be children.

Excellent and interesting find.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the axe head that I found yesterday and posted in case you didn't see it.

You done any restoration on that axe yet? Be sure to post and give me a heads up. Would like to see it.

narofvod

Greenie
Apr 22, 2011
Very cool find. I'm learning a lot on here about artifacts - never knew what a Discoidal was until now. I think I have one - not found by me but passed to me from an Uncle who passed. We always figured it was something Native American. Would it be appropriate for me to post a picture of it here even though I did not find it?

OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find. I'm learning a lot on here about artifacts - never knew what a Discoidal was until now. I think I have one - not found by me but passed to me from an Uncle who passed. We always figured it was something Native American. Would it be appropriate for me to post a picture of it here even though I did not find it?

Post it on a new thread and tell it’s story. It will get more attention and I too would like to see a picture of it as well.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread