04/19/2019 Find

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
found the one point this afternoon.

Cold 14 mph wind from the north made the mid 40's feel like the mid 30's. Raining and steady wind. Cold. Felt like winter was setting in again. Talked to a few farmers, all were fixing to get a wood stove going.

checked out a few fields for metal detecting, found only one point.

walked right up on it.
20190419_153018.jpg

Took a video, but after the other hearkbreaker I had a 50/50 chance

20190419_180846.jpg

here it is washed. Got a few dings
20190419_180807.jpg

got home and fixed a fire in the box and poured a cold brew.
20190419_190436.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Thanks, I like that hard stone. Find a few almost every year.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I like that hard stone. Find a few almost every year.

That’s pretty impressive to find a few every year does that include hanmerstones / grinders or you find a few axes / celts every year ?
As far as axe heads go for me I average about 1 every 12 years.... lol yeah iv only got 2

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I was not including hammerstones. It does not always occur, the finding in pairs, but sometimes.

Often I will find two the same day. My theory on why is the hunter gather groups of Archaic tended to bury the hard stone relics in a pit and when they returned as the seasons changed and/or following the herds, they would exhume the relic and reuse them. Some may agree and others may disagree, but its a theory.

This occurs more often with axes and pestles than celts. I cant recall finding two celts the same day. But I have found a celt and ax the same day. Its possible those were not involved with the above theory. The celt was a large square poll celt and the ax was a full groove.

So if I find hardstone on a rise, I often will look on the side and in the bottoms within 20 - 50 feet of the rise, esp if the rows of the crops go down the rise. Its possible that over the years the stone 'travels' from the rise to the bottoms as the water moves them slightly and the plowing does as well. They don't move a lot each time, but over the years they could move a lot. Once on the slope of the rise the movement increases with the help of gravity. Does that make sense?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread