Is this blade Knife River Flint?

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What gorgeous, 'coffee' brown colors in this piece!! Could this be Knife River Flint? I acquired it at a yard sale, so know nothing of its history.

This 2 inch blade also exhibits interesting flaking patterns: I am just learning the terminology, so here goes:

I believe...the base shows thinning flakes, which were struck in an upward motion.
And the blade shows flakes of about the same size, that meet in the middle, resulting in a slight median ridge - on only one face: collateral flaking?
Not sure if my pics show this well, but the 'spokeshave' indentation near the tip looks to be intentional...or at least original: flake scars on both faces of the blade terminate at that indentation.

I just love this little blade. Would you think it is early archaic? thanks!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Upvote 0

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is carter cave flint! Quarried out of Kentucky! Nice knife too!

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Is the base area ground at all, in any area?
it looks like a cobbs blade with a blade tip chip to me.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is the base area ground at all, in any area?
it looks like a cobbs blade with a blade tip chip to me.

Darned if I can confidently tell if an edge is ground: I have read about it, looked at pics, had the process described to me as 'you'll know it when you feel it', etc., and still have doubts. I have several early archaic and paleo points (confirmed by Jon Dickinson ) and I just don't feel a significant difference in their base edges, which are supposed to be ground. So it remains a mystery to me. I'm working on it.

My best guess is this blade's base does not seem ground; does not look or feel 'duller' than the rest of the blade. But I like you ID as a Cobbs.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I've only seen that color of Paoli chert "Carter Caves") on (late)Paleo and Early Archaic artifacts, but that's a limited sample size. Usually it's grey; sometimes with bright scarlet &/or amber.

FWIW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread