Hell's Canyon Basal Notched ?

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another yard sale find: beautiful, delicate obsidian point with white mineralization visible inside notches and along edges; excellent condition; I have this as a Hell's Canyon Basal Notched (yard sale box, for what it's worth, said it was from 'Far West') Any opinions welcomed!
HC BN 2.jpg
hc bn1.jpg

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am no expert so take this with a pinch of salt, but my first impression is that it's possibly a modern reproduction (not old) if you will.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could be. I need to buy a stereo microscope....just received Jim Bennett's book on detecting fakes...this piece will be near top of my list.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The white patina on it is a good sign for it being old. I have several from the Great Basib that have that same white patina and I know mine are good because they were given to me by the finder who used to post here.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The white patina on it is a good sign for it being old. I have several from the Great Basib that have that same white patina and I know mine are good because they were given to me by the finder who used to post here.

Well thanks, Grim. I hope so, but I am realistic. I own several 'contemporary' pieces. :) Let me get a paycheck or two and order me a microscope. Sounds like.... if I am going to continue this hobby....especially for a new guy with limited experience (2 years) and not having looked at AND HELD hundreds and hundreds of artifacts....a 'scope is called for.

And...who would take the time to apply fake patina on a $25 piece?

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I see is a piece that looks water worn on one side and the edges the patina looks too white ? But with out having the point in hand I'm not sure . I find a lot of obsidian points without any patina and they look brand new . So if I did not find a artifact I would never know for sure :dontknow: I just took a closer look with magnification at some of my points and they do have patina in the cracks and crannies just not real white .

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here two sides of some Points I have from the Great Basin. His looks similar to me, but like said above, without actually holding it it would be hard to say.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my limited experience I've observed that a white patina seems comes after some amount of hydration/oxidation. At that point the glass has lost most of it's shine. I've got 50 plus obsidian lithics, all personal finds, ranging from ones that look like they were made yesterday (clean and shiny) to ones that are so worn it's hard to tell the material.

Plenty of the more worn ones have white-ish patinas (similar to Grim reaper's) but none combine shine and patina quite like this example.

Not saying it's fake, though....

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
White 'patina' scrubbed off with hot soapy water and old toothbrush...(not just rinsed off!)
Interior of notches exhibit crushed, flaked obsidian....at 30x...
Interior of notches exhibit circular machine markings...at 30x...
Entire blade surface, both sides, overly worn, smoothed.....like it was tumbled....at 10x...
Modern reproduction.
Love my microscope!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread