hertzyinmn

Greenie
Apr 2, 2019
willmar ,Mn
Detector(s) used
Fisher f-70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, I have just purchase this for my collection and wondered if any experts could look this over and tell me exactly what I have here. From my reading I have found any grooves more than one would be quite rare and so I would guess that would make this very rare with three all around . This piece was from a collection of a retired anthropology professor from Minnesota who retired in the late 70s. One man purchased his collection and had been selling his items so I found this one that caught my eye. He was unsure of where this was originally from but some were marked with the states so it may take some expertise to know where this tool is from. I do not know material but is heavy and awesome. Would appreciate any comments remarks ,Thanks 20190521_125825.jpg 20190521_125643.jpg 20190521_125636 (2).jpg 20190521_125628.jpg 20190521_125833.jpg

Upvote 0

MosesOfTheSouth

Apr 4, 2014
in my mind/wilds of,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You asked for opinions and got them from people with years of collecting experience and this give us crap for telling you the truth?? You even say "you appreciate all comments remarks". So much for that. SMH

I guess I'll be another smartass from Ohio and tell you this with 54 years of collecting experience in my dossier. That also includes artifacts from every state except Hawaii. It's a natural rock with erosion of a softer material that made the grooves. Maybe you should stick with metal detecting and leave the artifacts for people that know the hell they are doing.
steve, he might be trolling idk

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you guys are being a bit hard on hertzyinmn.

It can sting to learn 'it's just a rock', especially if it cost you money.

Maybe he is unfamiliar with the conventions of the forum and who's who and maybe he misconstrued the tone in your replies (perhaps the reverse is true too).

Anyhow, we ought to be friendly to each other.

I think it's a cool rock and you can see why some one might pass it off as an artifact.

To keep in theme, here's a rock I thought might be an artifact till I learned different.

20190521_184202.jpg

I didn't have to pay for it though.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, I have just purchase this for my collection and wondered if any experts could look this over and tell me exactly what I have here. From my reading I have found any grooves more than one would be quite rare and so I would guess that would make this very rare with three all around . This piece was from a collection of a retired anthropology professor from Minnesota who retired in the late 70s. One man purchased his collection and had been selling his items so I found this one that caught my eye. He was unsure of where this was originally from but some were marked with the states so it may take some expertise to know where this tool is from. I do not know material but is heavy and awesome. Would appreciate any comments remarks ,Thanks View attachment 1714677 View attachment 1714678 View attachment 1714679 View attachment 1714680 View attachment 1714682

I don’t know why an anthropologist would have this in his private collection, except that it may have been utilized in some way. It’s not a worked piece. I could see it as a natural stone used as a boat anchor or something to that effect. The natural grooves seem to be accommodating.

However, aside from the curious detail of an archeologist selling artifacts. I have to wonder why an anthropologist would neglect to keep notes or records regarding an artifact in his/her possession that has any significance to his field of study and profession.

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAMucker--was thinking the same thing...why wasn't there documentation? Perhaps there is and it's not with the collection....

BUT perhaps this person who bought the collection and is selling it threw a few items of their own into the professor's collection. I'm always skeptical of buying artifacts for this reason; unless I pull it out of the ground, who knows where an item could have come from or the backstory of an item. Can't speak for everyone, but I think there are many of us here who enjoy just being able to appreciate an item that someone long, long ago put serious time and effort into. We are all blessed to have such interest and hold an appreciation for such a hobby.

Keep looking hertzyinmn! This hobby is too great to be discouraged in any way.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey, learn from this piece and pay ten bucks today, then get burned with a $10,000 artifake tomorrow.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you guys are being a bit hard on hertzyinmn.

It can sting to learn 'it's just a rock', especially if it cost you money.

Maybe he is unfamiliar with the conventions of the forum and who's who and maybe he misconstrued the tone in your replies (perhaps the reverse is true too).

Anyhow, we ought to be friendly to each other.

I think it's a cool rock and you can see why some one might pass it off as an artifact.

To keep in theme, here's a rock I thought might be an artifact till I learned different.

View attachment 1714846

I didn't have to pay for it though.

I was was fine with him until called a member an "******* from Ohio". After that it's no holds barred.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don’t know why an anthropologist would have this in his private collection, except that it may have been utilized in some way. It’s not a worked piece. I could see it as a natural stone used as a boat anchor or something to that effect. The natural grooves seem to be accommodating.

However, aside from the curious detail of an archeologist selling artifacts. I have to wonder why an anthropologist would neglect to keep notes or records regarding an artifact in his/her possession that has any significance to his field of study and profession.

in the very specific area I hunt, the folks used these natural occurring stones with holes in them called "Glendonite concretion cobbles" as net sinkers....why make something when you can use one ready to go. I suspect a lot of pestles started life as oblong river rocks of about the right size and shape to begin with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread