jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've Glued Stones together in the Distant past (not Artifacts)
But Same Difference.

000aaa.jpg

Seriously ! As long as you don't intend to Play with it & Test it's Strength,
It will Last :coffee2:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used super glue to repair a small point many years ago and it is still holding. But, after looking at it just now I think I put the ear or whatever you call it back on upside down! The break is very evident. I was showing it to a friend who dropped it on the table causing the break. I'm glad it was just a field grade point.

Attachments

• 20190523_223214.jpg
    20190523_223214.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 50

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I glued together the pieces of a soapstone bowl my wife found 20 years ago with Elmer's and it's still good. Done the same with several points, pieces found at different times. All still good. Thing is you want to get the match perfect before the glue sets, so I would practice a few times until I was sure I knew how to join them as perfect as possible. Then, when I was sure I was ready, I used a toothpick to apply a small amount of glue and I applied the match as practiced and I glued the points, I had my wife standing by with Kleenex at the ready, to wipe away glue oozing out at the joint while I held the pieces together tightly for 2-3 minutes.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I glued together the pieces of a soapstone bowl my wife found 20 years ago with Elmer's and it's still good. Done the same with several points, pieces found at different times. All still good. Thing is you want to get the match perfect before the glue sets, so I would practice a few times until I was sure I knew how to join them as perfect as possible. Then, when I was sure I was ready, I used a toothpick to apply a small amount of glue and I applied the match as practiced and I glued the points, I had my wife standing by with Kleenex at the ready, to wipe away glue oozing out at the joint while I held the pieces together tightly for 2-3 minutes.

Here is the difference in a good match, and a poor match. The two pieces of the top point were found 10 years apart. The seam is where the patina changes, and I think I did a good job. But the fishtail on the bottom? Well, without waiting for me to do the job, my wife glued the two pieces, and the two pieces are offset a bit, making for a less then perfect fit. Ya got to practice till you're sure you have it right before applying the glue. I guess, since Elmer's was used, I could maybe unjoin them(?), and try again, but I've never bothered.

IMG_2837.JPG

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Rino glue or clear 2 part epoxy.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the difference in a good match, and a poor match. The two pieces of the top point were found 10 years apart. The seam is where the patina changes, and I think I did a good job. But the fishtail on the bottom? Well, without waiting for me to do the job, my wife glued the two pieces, and the two pieces are offset a bit, making for a less then perfect fit. Ya got to practice till you're sure you have it right before applying the glue. I guess, since Elmer's was used, I could maybe unjoin them(?), and try again, but I've never bothered.

View attachment 1715586

if Elmers were used and you snap it apart. the Elmers will still be there.
I'm not sure what will dissolve cured Elmers. only thing that comes to mind is a torch. (I Can say with Confidence Elmers will Be there at Least 50 Years.
I See no reason it won't last another 50.
unfortunately the flame will leave a tell-tale coloring which will also need removed,
With Sandpaper :laughing9: Need I Say More ? other then Talk to an Expert on Cured Glue First :coffee2:

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
if Elmers were used and you snap it apart. the Elmers will still be there.
I'm not sure what will dissolve cured Elmers. only thing that comes to mind is a torch. (I Can say with Confidence Elmers will Be there at Least 50 Years.
I See no reason it won't last another 50.
unfortunately the flame will leave a tell-tale coloring which will also need removed,
With Sandpaper :laughing9: Need I Say More ? other then Talk to an Expert on Cured Glue First :coffee2:

Yeah, that I knew. With the Elmer's still there, I would not be able to achieve a better match. No biggie, without the Mrs., the collection would be quite a bit smaller....

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Try soaking in warm water. If it was glued with ‘indoor’ rated Elmer’s it will breakdown. The exterior type has a poly mix that is impervious to water.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
i have used elmers in the past with success, and like others have said, if i did not do it right and wanted to try again, just soak, clean and try again.

OP
OP
G

GoExplore

Feb 27, 2019
Southwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your insights. I decided to use Elmer’s. Came out pretty well. 22543363-3A68-4CA8-A168-367CE0DDCD5D.jpeg EE61897E-73FF-4944-BD1B-148EAF011105.jpeg
The obsidian hides the seam pretty well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions