Throw away?

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_0866.JPG
    IMG_0866.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_0867.JPG
    IMG_0867.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_0868.JPG
    IMG_0868.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 365
Upvote 0

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
strange. in the first and third picture the base appears to be clearly snapped off but in the middle picture it looks as though it could be worked also and thus be a preform of sorts or a small knife.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cannonman17 said:
strange. in the first and third picture the base appears to be clearly snapped off but in the middle picture it looks as though it could be worked also and thus be a preform of sorts or a small knife.
Here's a few better pictures of the base. It looks to be snapped off. What do you think? In the original three pictures, the first and third pics were from one side and the second picture was of the other side.

Attachments

• IMG_0869.JPG
    IMG_0869.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0870.JPG
    IMG_0870.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0871.JPG
    IMG_0871.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 318

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Evolution said:
Found this one today. Doesn't look like a finished product but definitely looks "worked". Is this a throw away or reject or did indians make points that looked like this? Thanks for any help.....still learning. I tossed in a dime for sizing.
Pre form, or small knife,most definately worked.I,d hit that spot again.
Jeff

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found half a point one day out in the flats below my favorite knap site. Couple days later I am back out and on the flats across the dry wash and found the other half--no joke--fit em together.

It was about a month or two later as I was looking through my box of broken points I noticed the halves looked like the same grain, and type material and viola! glued it together--don't throw any knapped rock away. It will haunt you--scout's honor.

Which reminds me keep a memo pad in your field bag. Draw your point you find and list the date and where. You can take a picture too, but you got to log it in a memo book--that shows respect and if you are ever questioned you can show you are recording the archaeological info.

Stryker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread