✅ SOLVED Egg stones

kwelliott14

Jun 17, 2019
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these a long time ago but since I'm new to this forum I was going to ask. What were the egg stones used for? I figured grinding. Also just like to say I'm glad I did find this forum I've already learned alot about some of the stuff I've found. Been collecting all my life just didn't know what the stuff was I was collecting. 20190622_060343.jpg 20190622_060349.jpg

Upvote 0

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they are toys like tops. I don’t want to keep posting it but I made a video of mine, called it Indian marble, you can find it on my started threads list if your interested.

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn’t there. Neither were you. I made a point to say I THINK.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Wasn’t there. Neither were you. I made a point to say I THINK.

Well, you thought and used your imagination to come up with the top theory.

So, why not use it again and take it one step further and complete the journey?

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying not to be so argumentative, even though it’s completely against my nature. You win that rock spins like that by freak luck.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not taking sides in this but as far as a smooth flat surface I don't see why they couldn't sand and polish large flat pieces of wood for something to spin on.

Not saying im agreeing or disagreeing with Fred but his video is very compelling and may need further study. That piece he spins is so perfectly balanced it's spins very well for a long time.

Like he said, we weren't there so who knows. We still have no difinitive answers for Plummets, Cones, or several other types. It would be cool to think they did actually make something with such precise measurements to do what it does. Something to think about.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I understand your sentiment completely grim.

I have an an egg stone as well that I found years ago. I’d be more apt to believe they were wrapped in leather and attached to a stick and used to crack skulls and bones, a weapon. We do know they did that.
But since it’s not a sure thing and some would say it is just a natural stone, I have refrained from posting it, even though it is one of my favorite finds.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Water can do that to rocks. I live near a Corps of Engineers lake. Several years ago they sent divers down into the lake at the dam to remove rocks that had built up. They pulled two dumpsters of rocks out and they were all egg shaped. Sizes small to large. I never saw anything like it. Water coming through the dam evidently shaped them like that. I saved one rock and have it around here somewhere. Gary

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually used a stone like that once as a fake egg in my chicken coop (encourages the hens to lay in the nest instead of hiding the eggs.)

They are a fairly common,naturally occurring form where I'm at. We have a layer of tumbled quartz and quartzite gravel and cobbles under the area, so for me to walk down a creek collecting "eggs" isn't too difficult, although the near perfectly shaped ones are harder to come by.

That said, these, and "game balls" turn up at native sites often enough to make me think there must be something to it. As a kid, I certainly would have brought something like that home to play with, even though I had all kinds of fancy modern toys. They may have even just been brought home as "art". The last one I saw was being used as decoration out on a patio along with a couple of seashells and a piece of driftwood.

It is the kind of thing that would be fairly easy to make. It's just a matter of finding something close to the shape you want, then tapping the rock against another hard rock to peck away the parts you don't want, then maybe some grinding at the end to smooth and polish. That said, I think if they were being intentionally made, more would turn up at the large camp/village sites than are found. They are rather uncommon.

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve a few more spinning rocks, one that spins on three different axis. Also found them on more than one site. Seems it was a thing around here. When I was looking into it found a reference to an Inuit game where kids spun a top and tried to run outside around the igloo? And get back in before it stopped.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google Peachstreet archeology and you will see some great examples of egg stones used in a Bolo throwing device.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i was thinking bolo stones as well

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see no evidence that these have any NA connection, they are plain old river tumbled rocks. Seems like every rock found on the ground these days has been given some NA attribute.

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
For stones like these, they would really need to be found in context within a site for you to consider attributing them to being an artifact. They are just way too similar to a tumbled/water worn river rock. I can't think of anyone who would say they are an artifact. Sorry!

OP
OP
kwelliott14

kwelliott14

Jun 17, 2019
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you that where I'm located in eastern nc there are no natural rocks in the topsoil. As far as I know glaciers didn't come by here. Its miles of blackland. No rocks in the muddy rivers around here. Any rock found in these fields were put there by a human of some kind at sometime. I called them egg stones because that is what mine look like. Not saying they weren't naturally formed somewhere but I am saying that somebody long long ago picked them up and dropped them in what use to be a huge swamp where I live.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions