A little learning tip on flakes and types of flaking.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1st photo shows 3 flakes made of Novaculite and you can see the percussion bulbs on them. 0711191400.jpg let me say this right off, No one knows everything about how tools were used. All we can do is experiment with items and study. Also a fresh flake is as sharp as a razor blade. The question here was it used as a tool. The 2nd photo shows a flake with micro chipping, that would resharpend a flake and make the cutting edge stronger. 0711191359.jpg The next photo shows what flaking of a flake looks like when force is used while flaking it . 0711191359_HDR.jpg The last photo shows what a flakes edge would look like after getting tumbled by other rocks, 0711191359a_HDR.jpg notice how steep the flake scares are and there is no real pattern to them. Not every flake was used as a tool because you make a lot of flakes to make 1 artifact. I hope this will help.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice description. I have to dig my Flint Ridge out and get some pics.

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting monsterrack!

Such insightful info.

This explanation is what is needed in this forum. But of course you can lead a horse to water...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread