Native American game piece?

Virginiaguy

Jun 29, 2019
Northern Virginia/Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Fischer 1266-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings to all. I had a pretty good day today........found a few points along with a square stone about the size of a dice that has different etching on four of the sides. One side has 2 lines, another 3 lines, another has crossed lines and another what I would call a starburst. The top and bottom are blank. This stone was found in the same area as the points........a recently turned farm field about 50 yards from the Shenandoah River. So........does anyone know if game pieces/dice were used by Native Americans? Any input would be appreciated. Pictures of all are below. Best to all and thanks for your feedback.

Attachments

• Rock bottom.JPG
    Rock bottom.JPG
    1,018.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Rock - top.JPG
    Rock - top.JPG
    1,015 KB · Views: 85
  • Side one - 3 lines.JPG
    Side one - 3 lines.JPG
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Side two - 2 lines.JPG
    Side two - 2 lines.JPG
    1,013.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Side three - crossed lines.JPG
    Side three - crossed lines.JPG
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 153
  • Side four - starburst.JPG
    Side four - starburst.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 101
  • All together.JPG
    All together.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 123
Upvote 0

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that it looks like cannel coal, which is lighter than stone..........nice artifact saves.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Your stone is a pyrite crystal known as "Devils Dice" because of their blocky shape. They are found in VA, so your location fits. Some appear to have a natural etching on some of the sides, which may be why some of your sides are un-etched.
It may very well have been a game piece. Interesting find!

OP
OP
V

Virginiaguy

Jun 29, 2019
Northern Virginia/Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Fischer 1266-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rege-PA......I think you nailed it. I just did some image searches and its a virtual match to many on line images.......even with the etchings. Thanks for solving this one and thanks to the others who replied as well. Much appreciated.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Your stone is a pyrite crystal known as "Devils Dice" because of their blocky shape. They are found in VA, so your location fits. Some appear to have a natural etching on some of the sides, which may be why some of your sides are un-etched.
It may very well have been a game piece. Interesting find!

I learned something new, very cool info!

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
I have learned so much on this forum over the years from all of the postings......just glad I can give something back now and then.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread