Slate Lizards

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Slate Lizards or effigies are a group of stone 'problematicals' found in Ohio and surrounding states. Some of them were probably atlatl weights, some of them are similar to birdstones, some are like flattened plummets, some of them are finely made, and some of them are very crude. Aside from being interesting and quirky, they are one of the more common slate ornamental tools and for many years were fairly reasonable in price if you were looking to add some to your collection.

I have found 3 complete examples over the years and have a couple of broken pieces as well, and have added probably another 20 or so from auctions. Here are a couple of recent additions that will eventually go into that frame. If anyone has any, please feel free to post them. Conjecture about use is also more than welcome.

The first piece isn't very photogenic, but it's really well made. It is pictured in Ohio Slate Types, and in the Archaeological History of Ohio back in 1902. Ex Cameron Parks collection. It is pretty clearly an animal of some type.

Attachments

• IMG_2365.jpg
    IMG_2365.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2367.jpg
    IMG_2367.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2366.jpg
    IMG_2366.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2368.jpg
    IMG_2368.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
This next lizard was collected by Dr. Meuser and has been pictured a couple of times, the earliest is 1950 in the Ohio Relic Collectors Bulletin and in the Meuser sale catalog and Converse's book about the Meuser collection. Since they usually have a flat side, some of these old ones are tattooed like a sailor with old collector marks.

Attachments

• IMG_2388 (2).jpg
    IMG_2388 (2).jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2386.jpg
    IMG_2386.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2385 (2).jpg
    IMG_2385 (2).jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2384.jpg
    IMG_2384.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2383.jpg
    IMG_2383.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
This last one is also ex- Dr. Meuser. The face is faceted making eyes and a nose/beak.

Attachments

• IMG_2396.jpg
    IMG_2396.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2395.jpg
    IMG_2395.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2397.jpg
    IMG_2397.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2394.jpg
    IMG_2394.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 55

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have any crude examples? I may have some crude examples that are not as nice as yours but take on a very similar shape.

OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Do you have any crude examples? I may have some crude examples that are not as nice as yours but take on a very similar shape.

lizard.jpg

The top piece and the bottom piece are pretty typical 'rough' examples. (These are not mine, I lifted the picture from an auction site.) The vast majority of them are made from slate or shale, I've also see a couple made from limestone and granite. The are usually chipped into shape and then smoothed to some degree. Finer details (the neck, head, tail) are often made with typical peck and grind. On some the slate is basically chipped into shape, a neck is chipped in and that is about the end of the work. Most collectors don't consider the rough ones to be unfinished examples or preforms, for some reason they just weren't particularly well made. Moorehead apparently thought many of them were kids toys.

Given that the material is usually pretty soft, it wouldn't take too long to grind out the marks, but many lizards have left over chipping marks. They are visible on the first two examples I posted from my collection. (It's interesting that on the refined examples they took the time to create details and polish the slate, but left the chips in places. They usually erased the chips on birdstones, bannerstones, celts, axes, etc.)

Last edited:

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1744578

The top piece and the bottom piece are pretty typical 'rough' examples. (These are not mine, I lifted the picture from an auction site.) The vast majority of them are made from slate or shale, I've also see a couple made from limestone and granite. The are usually chipped into shape and then smoothed to some degree. Finer details (the neck, head, tail) are often made with typical peck and grind. On some the slate is basically chipped into shape, a neck is chipped in and that is about the end of the work. Most collectors don't consider the rough ones to be unfinished examples or preforms, for some reason they just weren't particularly well made. Moorehead apparently thought many of them were kids toys.

Given that the material is usually pretty soft, it wouldn't take too long to grind out the marks, but many lizards have left over chipping marks. They are visible on the first two examples I posted from my collection. (It's interesting that on the refined examples they took the time to create details and polish the slate, but left the chips in places. They usually erased the chips on birdstones, bannerstones, celts, axes, etc.)

Thankyou for the elaborate information! Really interesting. The crude examples that may be nothing that i have found are made of banded slate. Whenever i find slate i can usually attribute it to a type of artifact some pieces more polished then others. For the most part i find banded slate in one creek and the next creek over i find hematite but very little slate.

There is banded slate that naturally occurs here in the Bay area with in 20 miles or so. So slate can find its way down the creek over time.

I may have some crude examples and some areas on the pieces do look pecked or chipped some seem to be ground smooth and lightly polished.

I may also have some crude banded slate birdstones that are ground smooth and polished to some degree with eye like features. They are squared off fairly decently but may not fit the bill. I will post some of them when i get a chance tomorrow.

My thoughts on some lizards are they were meant to be viewed from the side. As you mention some are not fully worked on the top view. If they were hung like we would hang a model airplane horizontally the top portions would not be as visible so they may not of needed to fine tune an area that was less visible. Even with your nicer examples the side view is more appealing to look at then the tops. They seem to have fine tuned features from the side view. For instance the very well rounded belly is easier to distinguish from the side view and the neck area seems to be more geometrically shaped from the side view. With a lot of artifacts we tend to show one angle but with lizards we naturally like to turn them sideways possibly because that view seems to give you that wow eye candy feeling.

Obviously pure speculation just some thoughts.

Thanks again for taking the time.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great post. I've seen one of those in a collection from Franklin County Oh. I wasn't sure what it was. It was in a library display. Thanks for the info.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Joshuaream,
Thanks for starting this post.
This is an item that I have not studied, but after viewing the many photos, it struck me that the shape of these effigies/artifacts resembles a type of bird of prey (notice the shape of these diving birds -a fraction of a second before they stab into the surf)
https://images.app.goo.gl/NKUVdQiJvfQrSzUJ7

Lizards are cute and interesting.

But, it would certainly bring more assurance to a hunter to have one of those birds adding power to my ATLATL.

Unless, of course, these lizards have special magic or some paranormal connection to the afterlife. Then we go with lizards, yes?

Last edited:

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are neat looking especially the banded slate , Joshua what do you think was there purpose ? I think toys for kids is a possibility maybe even a challenge for the kids to make their own ..... I’m sure there was some long winter days and nights that left the kids itching to do something maybe this would help pass the time.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real nice artifacts ! But I keep seeing birds of prey the lizards around here are real skinny :laughing7:

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Their anatomy and overall appearance reminds me more of a bird--a Mourning Dove (except the one in post #3). A good likeness for one perched in a tree above you.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are quite interesting. I don't believe we find them out here.

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few pics of some possible crude lizards found in creeks with some creek wear they are from California a hop, skip, jump and climb from most of you.

20190820_195412.jpg 20190820_195442 (3).jpg
20190820_200949.jpg 20190820_201149 (2).jpg
20190820_201110.jpg

This one is not slate possibly polished and is a igneous rock I believe. Some lizards have in laid beads in Caifornia. I thought possibly the depressions may have had beads. The lines I believe are incised and are only on one side

20190820_200142.jpg 20190820_200317.jpg
20190820_200154.jpg 20190820_200254 (2).jpg
20190820_200231.jpg

they all seem to sit flat

OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
That's one of the unique things about regional differences. These lizard stones have a really small distribution, part of Ohio, part of Indiana and then a smattering that pop up in Michigan, & Kentucky (maybe Pennsylvania, but I haven't seen any from there.) California would be a big hop, skip, jump and plane ride from that part of the Midwest.

Here's a few pics of some possible crude lizards found in creeks with some creek wear they are from California a hop, skip, jump and climb from most of you.

View attachment 1744861 View attachment 1744862
View attachment 1744863 View attachment 1744864
View attachment 1744865

This one is not slate possibly polished and is a igneous rock I believe. Some lizards have in laid beads in Caifornia. I thought possibly the depressions may have had beads. The lines I believe are incised and are only on one side

View attachment 1744866 View attachment 1744867
View attachment 1744868 View attachment 1744869
View attachment 1744870

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1744861 View attachment 1744862
View attachment 1744863 View attachment 1744864
View attachment 1744865

View attachment 1744866 View attachment 1744867
View attachment 1744868 View attachment 1744869
View attachment 1744870

Sorry but they all look natural to me just rocks .

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one of the unique things about regional differences. These lizard stones have a really small distribution, part of Ohio, part of Indiana and then a smattering that pop up in Michigan, & Kentucky (maybe Pennsylvania, but I haven't seen any from there.) California would be a big hop, skip, jump and plane ride from that part of the Midwest.

Yes the regional issue is a big one. I have not found very much information here maybe for good reason.

Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread