Clay pipe, looks old, found near lake michigan , need your expertise

PhoenixDust

Aug 24, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this clay pipe near Lake Michigan, Green Bay area. It washed up on shore which is amazing but i found it on the shore line it has some damage to it.. i think maybe from a boat prop or something. Still it is in great shape, but i need some help with identification. I have spent a lot of time and effort on trying to figure out exactly what and how old this is, and so far i believe it is roughly 300-500 yrs old and of the Iroquois indian tribe. Any insight would be helpful, i mainly want to know what and when, and if there is any value to it. Also I am looking to sell it to a collector . Is there any resources out there that are available for help with that. Thanks for your time and input

Tried to get the best pictures i could, but kinda limited by camera... if these are not good enough let me know and i will try again.

DSC00744.JPG DSC00745.JPG DSC00751.JPG DSC00756.JPG DSC00747.JPG DSC00746.JPG DSC00749.JPG

Upvote 0

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone smarter than I will have to help you with that...it sure looks old though.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Thats the fun when you find one of these, the research. Yours is spot on but being from the lake Michigan area it could be
Huron, who the Iroquois decimated. A great find, could be easily patched considering you have 90% of it with the complete shape.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pipe_03.jpg
This is an Iroquoian pipe from the Droulers/Tsiionhiakwatha collection of Iroquoian artifacts. Yours looks spot on both for style & location. It could actually be quite old as the Iroquoians were big time smokers and were using these type pipes when contact was made by Europeans. Great find. Personally I wouldn't t sell it but I'm a collector. It is damaged which will affect its value.

OP
OP
P

PhoenixDust

Aug 24, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1746156
This is an Iroquoian pipe from the Droulers/Tsiionhiakwatha collection of Iroquoian artifacts. Yours looks spot on both for style & location. It could actually be quite old as the Iroquoians were big time smokers and were using these type pipes when contact was made by Europeans. Great find. Personally I wouldn't t sell it but I'm a collector. It is damaged which will affect its value.

Thank you , and everyone really. I am most appreciative. I know keeping it would be paramount, but I am not a collector, and really could use the money. And i believe that someone who is a collector, would value it much more in their collection than i could. i know there is some stigmata maybe about it. for me it has been more of a divine providence, and many years have passed since i found it,.... well to be fair.. this peice found me... not the other way around. but all in all.. im not trying to make a fortune, and if i could keep it or start a collection i would. but i figure, there is someone out there who would really like it....... and if not... i am most content with keeping this piece of history and sharing it with the world.

thanks again for your insight and pictures... this has become a very exciting adventure =)

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Cool find, even thought it’s got some damage it is more complete than most of them.

It might not be the most easy relic to sell, unfortunately they are relatively common and widely replicated which seems to keep auction prices low. You can go to LiveAuctioneers, search for Iroquois Pipe, and check the prices realised at other auctions for pieces. A lot of those are replicas or heavily restored, but you can see the auction prices. Proxibid is another site. Jim Bennett has his auctions there, you might reach out to him about consigning it. Oldrelics.com

SpareSomeChange

Aug 17, 2019
The 3rd Planet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome find. Finding something like that would make my whole week!

Whenever i find anything, from something dug up to just flowers or mushrooms and i want to know what it is without doing a ton of research i use Google Lens...It's hit or miss but sometimes it pulls through.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info and I'd I would hang that puppy on my wall nice

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hand-made, possible Native American in origin.
Super Find! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread