New Quartz point find! And a little more too!

Nedhawks

Jul 13, 2019
South virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I would show off the new quartz P.P. I found today. Its the only one I have cleaned so far, idk I just like the way the others look with the dirt patina. First pick is my find today, and second pick is the crazy variety of the total points I have found at this site this past summer. I am near the James river in Virginia and I have a 60 plus acre construction site that I am hunting. I feel so lucky to have this peice of land to myself, cause no one else is finding anything and I attribute that to the knowledge I have gained from you guys. Thanks!

20190911_173521.jpg
20190911_173512.jpg
20190911_173719.jpg

Upvote 0

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is great Ned—James river provides again. Hopefully we can get some rain this week and you’ll get another look. Good luck. HUZZAH!

OP
OP
N

Nedhawks

Jul 13, 2019
South virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are so correct Huzzah, I noticed the hurricane had really fine wind blown mist rain. I was so excited to hunt the new topsoil that had been placed only to find that it had not been cleaned nearly enough. It apparently takes a big raindrop summer thunderstorm to wash out the tracks of a massive Dozer. But those Dozer tracks are sweet cause when it all evens out, it tends to put artifacts on a little pedistle. Cheers

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm liking the Beaver Lake looking point in the last pic. Damn nice find. I'd have to clean that baby.

OP
OP
N

Nedhawks

Jul 13, 2019
South virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'm gonna clean them up eventually, I waited at first because I wasnt sure if you were supposed to clean them or not, which i found is a personal aesthetic thing. So personally i will want to see them cleaned up eventually.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
That yellow quartz point is made from a form of Sugar Crystal Citrine.

That’s a semi-precious gemstone, which makes it a very special material.

Nice find!

OP
OP
N

Nedhawks

Jul 13, 2019
South virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which ones "the Beaver Lake point" I would like to know?
Also... it hasn't rained in over a month now, and they have started turning the soil to do its final seeding! So sad. Pray for rain!

Last edited:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The best point I ever found was between the tracks of a dozer. It had scraped the topsoil/grass off to start clearing for an addition on my grade school. 3 1/2" Dovetail. Perfect.

OP
OP
N

Nedhawks

Jul 13, 2019
South virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay. Yes, I have seen this type of point in another person's collection from near the same area, so I thought I would find alot as well. So far only one. Thabks

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry, should have gone with the longer version: In looking through many, many site reports from Virginia over the years, the name "Beaver Lake" isn't used. I don't know why. "Orient-fishtail" is used with some regularity.

This is why I tend to be a lumper, not a splitter. I honestly don't know how the archaeologist decide what names to put on things!

OP
OP
N

Nedhawks

Jul 13, 2019
South virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll take some pictures here in a week or two of my uncle's points that look like this. He found them within a mile of my current site.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In looking through many, many site reports from Virginia over the years, the name "Beaver Lake" isn't used. I don't know why. "Orient-fishtail" is used with some regularity.

There is some 6000 +/- years between the two with (3200-2600 YBP) for the Orient Fish Tailed and (10,500-9500 YBP) for the Beaver Lake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread