Northern California Artifacts. What to do with them?

VaderSpade

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
40 years ago I was obsessed with collecting and I built a pretty good collection.

All the laws and negative feeling on collecting (especially here in CA) turned me off to collecting and my collection has not seen the light of day for 20+ years.

How do I find new homes for my collection with running afoul of the law. Most of these were inherited and were collected 50+ years ago.

Just the tip of the iceberg.

WAkmHK6h.jpg

YSq0equh.jpg

hcweoCsh.jpg

kfYBM28h.jpg

xCmdfrNh.jpg

oQXWsfsh.jpg

w7ZVVDDh.jpg

Upvote 0

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! If I was into artifact from that neck of the woods I’d definitely be a buyer. Thanks for the Show.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Oddly enough the best auction house for Great Basin and Western States materials is in Ohio. Jim Bennett & his team have helped disperse some very large Nevada & California based collections, and seem to be willing to break large collections into several auctions vs just flooding a lot of similar points in one big auction. If you are serious about returning your collection to the collecting community (a nice way of saying selling it) an auction is something you should consider.

https://www.premiereauctionsgroup.com/

Depending on how late in history your collection goes, some of the California & PNW Coastal material likely appeals to collectors of historic items. Those collectors and collectors of prehistoric art are often two separate groups.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that collection is outstanding.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Collection! I would consider what Joshua suggested, have Jim Bennett find a good home for your collection.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have not violated any laws, if you need some money however.....what a joke the people have become. Those are some crazy artifact saves.

OP
OP
V

VaderSpade

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips. I emailed two antique roadshow guys and they also suggested Jim Bennett.

I'll send him some pictures.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always send them to me and I will take the heat for you! That's the kind of guy I am, always willing to help those in need!:angel4:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you willing to sell just a few of the Points? I wouldn't mind having a few for my California tray in my states collection.

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell us about those flaked birds.

Where did you find them?

Extraordinary collection.

Are they personal finds?

I'm post out of California and am curious.

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding collection. I would PM the guy in Ohio.

San Antone

Jun 1, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star,
Garrett Ace 350,
Fisher Gemini-3
Primary Interest:
Other
I wound up selling my collection this year. It consisted of 36 18X12 frames. I had contacted several dealers and sent them photos of my collection and received fairly low ball offers due to the fact that they were dealers. I then looked up prices on E Bay and several other artifact sites to get a current indication of what they were worth.
Starting in January this year I attended and rented tables at artifact shows that were taking place in Texas. The cost per table averaged $20.00. The better grade artifacts I sold individually and most all the field grade artifacts I sold by the frame. I was able sell all of my collection and get what I expected to get in just 5 shows. I also had a lot of fun doing it that way.

OP
OP
V

VaderSpade

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell us about those flaked birds.

Where did you find them?

Extraordinary collection.

Are they personal finds?

I'm post out of California and am curious.

Lots of personal finds. Most were found SCUBA diving on private property in a river that is in the heart of the pacific flyway for geese and ducks (almost in Oregon). Unlike land hunting MOST of the points were near perfect as they were shot at sitting ducks, sank to the bottom without hitting the ground. I'm sure the flaked birds reflected respect for one of their main food sources. I also had quite a few bolo stones, net weights, and fish hooks.

What I didn't find I bought from my brother and a friend that hunted with us, so I was there when most were found. The balance of the collection was inherited from my old gold mining partner. We were mining in an artifact rich area. Most of his finds were before I met him but we worked together for years and he showed me where every piece came from.

The major exception was the slave killer I paid $2,000.00 for that and would love to have it authenticated. I found it at an estate sale in Eureka Ca. The finder was dead and the family didn't know where it came from. I went to the Eureka museum where I saw a 2/3 sized nearly exact match.

KJ8JPX8h.jpg

GFlHpl9h.jpg

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Selling it through Jim Bennett's auction will be the best like others have said. It will all be authentcaed and will be sold at a good price. Great looking items.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread