Bluff, rock shelter, creek- Ideal scenario

Rosecb

Greenie
Sep 9, 2019
N.Al- S.TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys let me start by saying I'm new to the site and also new to artifact hunting. I've always looked for arrowheads and artifacts but never really "hunted" them until the last few weeks and it has got to be one of the most interesting things I've done. Needless to say I'm hooked. My questions has to do alot with the title, I have a jam up place to artifact hunt only problem is it obviously has already been hunted and hunted hard. The set up is ideal, two nice bluffs with overhangs, one facing south and the other Southwest. Someone at some point spent countless hours digging and sifting against the bluffs, going down to solid Rock in some places and 4ft deep in others maybe even 5. I have started re sifting through what has previously been dug but really to no avail. The bluffs are dug from against the wall out maybe 4 ft and their sifting is piled maybe 8-12ft from the bluffs. Is it worth digging past their sifts and going a couple feet deep 8-12ft from the actual wall? I realize you have to put in the work to really know but this digging and sifting is quite time consuming and I don't have alot of time when I'm there. (Work, kids, etc) I'm just looking for information on past experience nothing more. One other question there is a very nice spring running out of the bluff straight into the creek (about 30 ft from the bluff to waters edge) that doesn't appear to have been dug, any idea why or is it not somewhere they would have spent lots of time. There is lots of Flint around it but not really any signs of past digging? I apologise for the long post and will try to post a few pictures. I have read lots on this forum about bluffs and overhangs but thought my questions were different than any of the previous posts.

Upvote 0

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the spring and eroding areas around the spring for artifacts that have become exposed. Also, I would do what arrow is suggesting—dig a few test holes and sift through what you dig. When I find myself in your situation I make a decent grid pattern for the placement of my holes and make each hole ~2-3’ X 2-3’ by 3’ deep. Some ppl make theirs larger or smaller, but that size should be enough to give you an idea of whether that exact place is a good spot to dig while not making you dedicate too much time for each test. Keep your shovel tests concentrated, but not too close. Depends on the layout of where you’re digging. Good luck and put your kids to work.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
All good advice.... careful of legalities and property lines, state/local... You do not want to come upon and then start diggin wholesale in a place that's possibly been hit illegally a load of times. There are a lot of sites out there that fit that bill. I would look for 2 ridge lines that converge on the creek/river within half mile or further from the shelter. Kill zones.

OP
OP
R

Rosecb

Greenie
Sep 9, 2019
N.Al- S.TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Few pictures

IMG_20190902_101757622.jpg IMG_20190908_144659129.jpg IMG_20190902_102715840.jpg

Here's a few pictures, should give you an idea of what it looks like. The third picture is probably the most unique thing, it's about waist high on the bluff and looks the the rock has been chipped away to make a hole about 6' wide 5' tall and 6' deep. Any idea what it is or what would be it's purpose?

OP
OP
R

Rosecb

Greenie
Sep 9, 2019
N.Al- S.TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tomclark is right--make sure it is ok to dig before doing so.

But otherwise, is there evidence of digging directly in front of the small cavern? If not, I'd be shovel testing right there in the front yard since that is where the highest concentration of traffic would have been back in the day.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve got a very similar site and I’ve actually found more stuff out on the edge right before it drops off and even things that have went over the edge, when I get the time I want to check at the base of the bluffs to see if anything has collected down there
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1568756999.347940.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rosecb

Greenie
Sep 9, 2019
N.Al- S.TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve got a very similar site and I’ve actually found more stuff out on the edge right before it drops off and even things that have went over the edge, when I get the time I want to check at the base of the bluffs to see if anything has collected down there
View attachment 1753962

Yes they do resemble and I'm glad to hear that I hope there's still a few things to be found.

OP
OP
R

Rosecb

Greenie
Sep 9, 2019
N.Al- S.TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good advice.... careful of legalities and property lines, state/local... You do not want to come upon and then start diggin wholesale in a place that's possibly been hit illegally a load of times. There are a lot of sites out there that fit that bill. I would look for 2 ridge lines that converge on the creek/river within half mile or further from the shelter. Kill zones.

Could you explain a little more in detail the "kill zone" you mentioned ?

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
When two ridge lines converge it forms a little kill zone "box", especially where it meets a creek or river. It's dead end for deer. Even better if there are steep sides on the inside of the ridges. This can also be depressions instead of ridges if there are no ridges and the terrain is flatter...it still forms a place where prey can be driven to the box with hunters chasing them in and hunters chasing them down from the higher ground. The best points I have in my collection are lost hunting points found in higher numbers in these places.
Any place where you see deer stands now may be a good place to look/dig, though topography changes over time.

OP
OP
R

Rosecb

Greenie
Sep 9, 2019
N.Al- S.TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When two ridge lines converge it forms a little kill zone "box", especially where it meets a creek or river. It's dead end for deer. Even better if there are steep sides on the inside of the ridges. This can also be depressions instead of ridges if there are no ridges and the terrain is flatter...it still forms a place where prey can be driven to the box with hunters chasing them in and hunters chasing them down from the higher ground. The best points I have in my collection are lost hunting points found in higher numbers in these places.
Any place where you see deer stands now may be a good place to look/dig, though topography changes over time.
Screenshot_20190918-104708.png

Is there anything in this terrain photo that jumps out at you as a kill zone?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Fixed.

Attachments

• IMG_20190902_101757622.jpg
    IMG_20190902_101757622.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_20190902_102715840.jpg
    IMG_20190902_102715840.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20190908_144659129.jpg
    IMG_20190908_144659129.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 69

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Disclaimer to the internet cops and lawyers: I dig in rock shelters on private property in a State that allows it.

Despite evidence of heavy digging, It's obvious previous diggers don't approach a shelter with a plan. It's just dig like mad with little thought about the next step. I can clearly see this in one of your images. Most will dig until they reach a level that either slows down or altogether stops producing debitage. Some shelters have a void, a time where there was no occupancy but mother nature continued to erode and pile sand in the shelter. For grins, take a few steps back and try to imagine how much overhang the shelter would have had thousands of years ago. They may be other features around that will help you with the estimate. Out in front of your shelter today....it's all down hill. Imagine a 40 foot overhang on it years ago. The "floor" of the shelter may have been 10x or 20x times bigger and if so, those artifacts will be at the bottom of today's hill. I wouldn't go thru the trouble to chase stuff that far down hill but, the lesson here is....get your sift pile close to an area that you 110% will not dig. You don't want to move that stuff twice! As far as what to do with those sift piles already in place...yes, sift them! You have no idea what screen size was used. Very few diggers actually "read" the contents of the shelter and use a one size fits all mentality when it comes to selecting screen size. Most shelters that I've played in, require at least two different sizes. 1/2 and 1/4. Once I missed a bone needle with a 1/2" screen only to catch it later using a 1/4" screen.

The spring area of your shelter....that's a tough one. That dirt/sand is back breaking. That's why few will chase it. Good chance the spring wasn't there during occupancy, something to think about.

The chipped area of the shelter that you mention....looks like the work of mother nature to me.

Best of luck!

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Screenshot_20190918-104708.png possible kill zones???... would need the topographic info...don't give it to me lolol. If they lived at the shelter they hunted up to many miles from there and days to weeks of time. Game would be taken or take off near the camp. I'd look for those kill zones where they intersect the river/creek where there is a ford of sorts, or where there was a ford.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
I always read that there are more artifacts from the drip-line out than in...doesn't look like they dug there.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be checking that bank leading down from the shelter. There is a erosion and gravity affect pushing everything to the bottom over time. I dug the bank leading down to the bottoms at my dig site, and it was full of artifacts. I noticed it was only a foot down to the pan at the top of the bank, then as I started down the pan gradually went deeper. At the bottom where it leveled off it was 3 feet to the pan. Now your bank is not as steep as mine so its probably not quite the same. There will be a lot of large rocks to move as your poking around, so make sure you bring a pry bar to remove them. 1320 is a experienced shelter digger, I would listen to all his advice. Digging is hard work, and its even harder when there are large rocks in the ground to remove. Good luck.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Some good advice has been given. I would add that I would also dig tests pits that are at least down below the next strata . I use a flat shovel & dig square holes that are 2' x 2' x 2' deep . I am not sure about in your area, but here, the next strata shows up at about 12-14" deep . THAT is where artifacts start showing up, here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread