Glass Arrowhead?y

Huskerhunter

Aug 5, 2011
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
My son found this at one of our spots in SW Iowa and it is definitely made out of glass. Is this something that NAs would have used to make points? TIA!

>>ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”>šŸ¤˜

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1573078277.965401.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1573078294.381827.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1573078310.726502.jpg

Upvote 0

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I had an opportunity recently to attend a site investigation with State and Professional archaeologists.
One of the professional archaeologists was walking nearby, searching the surface of the ground for artifacts and evidence of NA historical presence. After, stating (his observation) of a general lack of evidence or artifacts, he picked up a piece of known local lithic material.
To my astonishment, he began whacking itā€™s edge to test the quality (I suppose) leaving flake debit-age on the ground.
I (the only non-professional) present was the only one to express how this is would be problematic for future searches.
No one else seemed to care too much or show any concern.
Eventually, (if anyone hunts the way I do) these will be found and saved and of course, identified as NA artifacts.

Last edited:

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had an opportunity recently to attend a site investigation with State and Professional archaeologists.
One of the professional archaeologists was walking nearby, searching the surface of the ground for artifacts and evidence of NA historical presence. After, stating (his observation) of a general lack of evidence or artifacts, he picked up a piece of known local lithic material.
To my astonishment, he began whacking itā€™s edge to test the quality (I suppose) leaving flake debit-age on the ground.
I (the only non-professional) present was the only one to express how this is and would be problematic for future searches.
No one else seemed to care too much or show any concern.
Eventually, (if anyone hunts the way I do) these will be found and saved and of course, identified as NA artifacts.

Wasn't Gramley was it?

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Years back, my daughter latched onto a ā€˜boyfriendā€™ who was quite a manipulative individual.
He knew I didnā€™t like him, yet he hung around quite a while to try to get his way.
He was inclined to outsmart me and my wife with every move he made.
Knowing my interest in NA artifacts, he showed me an arrowhead he picked up in the forest on a quad-track.
Well, It was not NA.
He was trying to get me to warm up to him (and trying outsmart (play)me at the same time, by mocking my knowledge with a modern made souvenir arrowhead.
When I told him what it was, he just grinned.
He was just a narcissistic punk, and that type of person needs little motivation to try to deceive someone.
Just because YOU would ā€˜neverā€™ invest time and energy to deceive others, doesnā€™t mean there is no one who will.

Add to that...
There are people out there who just plain donā€™t like what we do.

Last edited:

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry for that rant.
Its just that I believe that a healthy skepticism strengthens science.

Last edited:

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
My son found this at one of our spots in SW Iowa and it is definitely made out of glass. Is this something that NAs would have used to make points? TIA!

>>ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”>šŸ¤˜

View attachment 1768981
View attachment 1768983
View attachment 1768985

1. The finder said it is ā€œdefinitely made out of glassā€. The added photos clearly show it is made of glass. So, can we stop suggesting itā€™s made from Crystal Quartz?

2. The finder said his son found it at one of his spots. Thatā€™s important info, and it should be clarified. Provenance and context are extremely important too.
Huskerhunter, can you tell us about the site logistics (i. e.; is it remote?, hard or easy access?, is it a secrete or well known to the public.

3. That point could only be as old a the clear glass it was made from. My guess is that would bring it well into the twentieth century (there are experts in glass here that can speak to this, so feel free to take exception)

4. *****Which NAs were present in that locale, at the time that type of glass was available, and did they historically make a projectile point that looked similar?

5. Is there any record of any projectile point type
from that region, from any time period that is similar to the item presented? (This could suggest a replica)

If we canā€™t answer #4. The best we can do is speculate how it got dropped there.

If thatā€™s the case, Somebody dropping their lucky-charm (souvenir shop special or modern home made) is as good a guess as any.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Huskerhunter

Huskerhunter

Aug 5, 2011
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
1. The finder said it is ā€œdefinitely made out of glassā€. The added photos clearly show it is made of glass. So, can we stop suggesting itā€™s made from Crystal Quartz?

2. The finder said his son found it at one of his spots. Thatā€™s important info, and it should be clarified. Provenance and context are extremely important too.
Huskerhunter, can you tell us about the site logistics (i. e.; is it remote?, hard or easy access?, is it a secrete or well known to the public.

3. That point could only be as old a the clear glass it was made from. My guess is that would bring it well into the twentieth century (there are experts in glass here that can speak to this, so feel free to take exception)

4. *****Which NAs were present in that locale, at the time that type of glass was available, and did they historically make a projectile point that looked similar?

5. Is there any record of any projectile point type
from that region, from any time period that is similar to the item presented? (This could suggest a replica)

If we canā€™t answer #4. The best we can do is speculate how it got dropped there.

If thatā€™s the case, Somebody dropping their lucky-charm (souvenir shop special or modern home made) is as good a guess as any.

2. It is remote on private property, not easily accessible.

4. As I mentioned before, it was the land that Chief Waubonsie was sent to live after European contact in Mills county Iowa.

5. Yes, I have found may point types similar to this in fields and streams nearby.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waubonsie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread