You never know what you will find hunting artifacts.!!!!

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found last week in Ms. by a friend of a friend
It is a tektite that was blasted by a meteor from the Chesapeake Bay impact site. It's the first to be found in Ms.and is a gem grade piece of material. received_1540499636090654.jpeg received_467552510552587.jpeg received_2665578530192148.jpeg I have already posted this in the meteor section.Just thought you guys would like to see it.

Upvote 0

Koalajones

Nov 10, 2019
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Radio shack detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Really cool, getting a piece of meteor is on my bucket list awsome pictures :blob8:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! Thats beautiful. So your saying this thing flew all all the way from the Chesapeake bay to on impact to land in Mississippi?

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find , I would have picked it up but absolutely never would have identified it as that. Was that your call on the ID?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is fantastic! I wonder if it is Peridot? Just wondered in what circumstances did they find it?

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could very well have been thrown that far, according to this.

View attachment 1774755

That is fantastic! I wonder if it is Peridot? Just wondered in what circumstances did they find it?

If that's the first such example known from Ms., then how cool is that?! Tektites are not technically meteorites. They are a form of impact created glass, formed from terrestrial matter thrown into the atmosphere at the time of impact. Primarily silica. It's not peridot, but rather impact glass. The tektites found in the North American strewn field were first discovered in Texas. All known North Anerican tektites originated from the Chesapeake Bay impact event:

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/gpt01

"[FONT=crimson_textroman]Tektites were first recognized in North America from Grimes County, Texas. These tektites were named bediasites after the Bedias Indians, who formerly roamed the area. As tektites from the same event, around 35 million years ago, are found in Georgia, Barbados, and Martha's Vineyard (a lone specimen), and as microtektites are found as far away as the western Pacific and Indian Oceans, the bediasites are now included as a part of the North American strewn field".

In the European strewn field, concentrated in the Czech Republic, they are known as Moldavites. Created by a different impact event. There are several tektite strewn fields around the world, associated with meteoritic impacts. I've collected meteorites since the early 80's, but only own a couple of tektites, and none from North America.
[/FONT]

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A beautiful piece! I would have thought it was a chewed up marble.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's too cool , if not a friend of a friends I would have voted banner.. thanks for showing and thanks to everyone who provided the information.

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a note on this item, around midweek the state will test it's primary elements so we are100% sure what it is. Then it will be donated to the Natural History and Science Museum in Jackson MS. Also nether the finder or the land owner wants anything out of this and no fame at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread