Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1575229463.649321.jpg
I hunt for artifacts regularly In se Kansas, there is only one spot where I find ceramics, which is also the only spot bone is preserved. I believe it is due to the mussel shells also in that spot helping to preserve them.

My question is this, I thought ceramics were fairly durable and should survive burial well, can a fired vessel deteriorate in certain soils? Is it dependent on other factors like temper or climate?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know much about pottery but here in Florida it is very common and seems to hold up well. Almost no complete items, all are just shards.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
There are a couple of factors at play.

The first is likely to coincidental in many areas, and that is a bit of salt allows you to fire shell tempered pots at a hotter temp which makes for a better earthenware. So lots of shards come from states that have more salt in their environment. It is thought that the Mississippian peoples figured this trick out.

The second factor is farming. 100 years of plowing tends to breakdown shards into stuff that looks a lot like dirt. About the only place I found shards in Northern Indiana were construction sites or by digging below the plow zone. They were surprisingly common, but made of relatively 'earthy' feeling material. (They felt more like a very hard dirt clod than a chunk of ceramic floor tile.)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodland period pottery does hold up very well, however, with enough time, it will turn to dust.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can’t really figure out the temper in the stuff I have. Clearly mussel shells were available but I really don’t see anything. Farming would account for some spots but I’ve got some in upland bluffs that are rocky and to my knowledge always pasture... maybe trampling? I was also wondering if freeze thaw cycles would break them down too.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I can’t really figure out the temper in the stuff I have. Clearly mussel shells were available but I really don’t see anything. Farming would account for some spots but I’ve got some in upland bluffs that are rocky and to my knowledge always pasture... maybe trampling? I was also wondering if freeze thaw cycles would break them down too.

Absolutely, freeze/thaw would help speed the crumbling of them. A lot of the pottery was grit, sand or fibre tempered. Those are a lot less durable than shell as I understand it.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I knew an old guy from Edwards Co. IL., deceased now. When he was a kid, his dad broke out a field that had never been farmed. He and his brothers job was to walk behind the plow and break up all the Indian pottery that was coming out. Back then, it was no big deal. They destroyed thousands of dollars worth of pots and didn't know any better. Gary

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pottery in the lower MS. valley seems to hold up very well. We have some creeks due to multiple occupation over the years that you can fill a 5gal bucket with broken pottery in a 1 day walk.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I knew an old guy from Edwards Co. IL., deceased now. When he was a kid, his dad broke out a field that had never been farmed. He and his brothers job was to walk behind the plow and break up all the Indian pottery that was coming out. Back then, it was no big deal. They destroyed thousands of dollars worth of pots and didn't know any better. Gary

Back in the 80's when I lived in South America people collected pottery and stored them in orange sacks (those net bags that they sell oranges or onions in at roadside stands in some places.) Breaking them was also a common option.

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here on the Texas Coast the pottery is the most common thing found followed by bone, with flint being as scarce as hens teeth. I've seen sand tempering and shell tempering mostly. Every once in a while you will see crushed pottery as tempering too. Just about everything has traces of asphaltum on it. It was used for waterproofing and decoration

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1575512483.823272.jpg
I’m the opposite, these are all flint flakes I’ve picked up, I keep them to get an idea what materials were used and how common/rare it is in the area... vs probably around 15 pieces of pottery

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1777044
I’m the opposite, these are all flint flakes I’ve picked up, I keep them to get an idea what materials were used and how common/rare it is in the area... vs probably around 15 pieces of pottery

In my area we also can pick up a lot of flakes and I use to flip them over and not a point I would go on. Now after finding many flakes with micro chipping I pick up all of them an check for an type of extra flaking.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area we also can pick up a lot of flakes and I use to flip them over and not a point I would go on. Now after finding many flakes with micro chipping I pick up all of them an check for an type of extra flaking.

Yep that’s why they are dumped out, now that I’m better at identifying artifacts I’m going back and double checking for tools I may have missed before

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread