A Few More Rescued From Neglect

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Picked a few out of a guy's inherited / neglected collection, very reasonable prices. No provenance available from owner....but one clue was a point labeled "Mo. '51" (I assume Missouri 1951.) So I have been looking through Overstreet's East Central and South Central sections, as well as online sources, for some help identifying types and the lithics. Any help is appreciated!

Morrow Mt.jpg
I am guessing 'Morrow Mountain Straight Base' ; no idea of the lithic. Any help?

Jacks Reef.jpg
Really nice 'Jack's Reef' with longish barbs completely intact, thinned and heavily ground base. If this was found in NY I would say Onondaga Chert...but from East Central states?

drill 1.jpg
drill2.jpg
Notched, serrated drill. Lithic resembles some photos of Dover Chert I have seen - light grays, medium grays, to light brown. Agree? Other ideas?

IMG_2800.JPG
Big Sandy maybe? The lithic looks a bit translucent, creamy beige with interior rosey shades. Could this be Noviculite?

IMG_2804.JPG
IMG_2805.JPG
Love this material! Do I see some attempt at overshot flaking on this Blade? And could it be Coshocton Chert? What other South Central - East Central cherts can be this brilliant black?

Appreciate your opinions!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That first one looks like it could've come outta south Georgia all day long, shape, color, everything.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Some nice looking finds. Congratulations :icon_thumright:

Sunny Side

Banned
Sep 15, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked a few out of a guy's inherited / neglected collection, very reasonable prices. No provenance available from owner....but one clue was a point labeled "Mo. '51" (I assume Missouri 1951.) So I have been looking through Overstreet's East Central and South Central sections, as well as online sources, for some help identifying types and the lithics. Any help is appreciated!

View attachment 1778686
I am guessing 'Morrow Mountain Straight Base' ; no idea of the lithic. Any help?

View attachment 1778687
Really nice 'Jack's Reef' with longish barbs completely intact, thinned and heavily ground base. If this was found in NY I would say Onondaga Chert...but from East Central states?

View attachment 1778689
View attachment 1778690
Notched, serrated drill. Lithic resembles some photos of Dover Chert I have seen - light grays, medium grays, to light brown. Agree? Other ideas?

View attachment 1778691
Big Sandy maybe? The lithic looks a bit translucent, creamy beige with interior rosey shades. Could this be Noviculite?

View attachment 1778695
View attachment 1778696
Love this material! Do I see some attempt at overshot flaking on this Blade? And could it be Coshocton Chert? What other South Central - East Central cherts can be this brilliant black?

Appreciate your opinions!

The drill is not Dover chert, the jet black piece has the sheen of Zaleski flint eastern Ohio, but it could be Kanawa flint. There is another source located in extreme south eastern Kentucky that resembles the aforementioned, the local collectors call it Black Ice which is glassy like obsidian.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An Expert who has been kindly assisting this amatuer...discounts my initial ID of 'Jack's Reef' - the point blade is too triangular, too broad at the shoulders. Yup - thanks for the lesson.

To my eye, re-focused upon reconsideration and suggestions from the Expert, it most resembles a Kirk Corner Notched...but just not sure. One thing for sure I would say: it sure looks Archaic old, well used, and worn. Very smooth, ground base; fracture ridges worn down smooth; 3-D iron deposits on blade; fracture hinges and fracture ledges show patina build up. I love it, just wish I knew its name. :)

Jacks Reef.jpg
IMG_2793.JPG

Sunny Side

Banned
Sep 15, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An Expert who has been kindly assisting this amatuer...discounts my initial ID of 'Jack's Reef' - the point blade is too triangular, too broad at the shoulders. Yup - thanks for the lesson.

To my eye, re-focused upon reconsideration and suggestions from the Expert, it most resembles a Kirk Corner Notched...but just not sure. One thing for sure I would say: it sure looks Archaic old, well used, and worn. Very smooth, ground base; fracture ridges worn down smooth; 3-D iron deposits on blade; fracture hinges and fracture ledges show patina build up. I love it, just wish I knew its name. :)

View attachment 1780130
View attachment 1780131

Bob Converse long time OHio Arch Society bypassed the Semantics of certain point types all together. He just called them archaic corner notches. Also I would bet that is Kanawa chert.

Last edited:

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
The only sure way to actually know the provenance of an artifact is to find it yourself. There are several traders and sellers that have an excellent standing but the best can be tricked. It is left up to each collector to satisfy themselves. I will never challenge one of us but keep my opinion to myself. I will give my thoughts of the type occasionally when I believe relevant information. I will seek opinions if I am unsure of my questions about a type.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread