Birdstone Pre-Form From Finger Lakes NY Region? Nah!!!!

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found by homeowner 10+ years ago in soil dug for garage foundation; isolated house in very rural area; location just a few hundred yards from numerous known amatuer-dug NA sites as well as University/Museum archeological digs; really at the epicenter of Finger Lakes region known sites;

Details perhaps not obvious from my pics include two eyes.

The only conclusions I am sort of confident of are: a) it ain't a natural stone (not really confident on this one...) b) it ain't slate c) I have never seen anything remotely resembling this piece d) it's not very pretty e) I don't see any mineralization / patina on this stone

Identification? I am leaning toward a modern explanation: could it be a stone bird-form that was manufactured as part of a garden statue or some such, long ago abandoned, wrecked, and weather worn until it made its way into the ground that was dug? Third pic seems to show detailed 'feathers' that must have been made with modern tools....I think...
But if you'all think it is a NA birdstone pre-form, I am ready to accept your experienced opinions!
20191214_091315.jpg
20191214_091321.jpg
20191214_090943.jpg
20191214_090930.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A nifty sandstone/siltstone, naturally formed "effigy". IMO. Could very well have been a kept curiosity.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, it appears to be natural formed shaped sandstone.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Everyone on this site would have picked it up and gave it a good look! It's pretty neat but I agree with it being natural.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone on this site would have picked it up and gave it a good look! It's pretty neat but I agree with it being natural.

Completely agree...

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Do you have any pictures from the top down, or bottom up? I agree it looks natural, but there are a lot of sandstone birdstones out there. And NY forms can be quite a bit different than the Midwest forms.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you have any pictures from the top down, or bottom up? I agree it looks natural, but there are a lot of sandstone birdstones out there. And NY forms can be quite a bit different than the Midwest forms.

Here's the best other view I have.
20191214_090752.jpg

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look like a bird but I see no area that has been modified by man. An yes I would have brought it home, I have a piece that looks like a female body shape. Mother nature can do some very good shapes.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can only agree that it looks natural, is sandstone, and perhaps a concretion. One thing that did strike me was how the sense of the eyes seems to be an effect of the layering. It reminded me of a bird from RI, in which the maker took advantage of banding in the stone to produce the effect of eyes. I think the way this sandstone object seemed to be using natural aspects of the stone to suggest eyes is the one thing that had me wondering. But, that said, I don't see signs of human alteration either, and assume the suggestion of eyes is just coincidental...

IMG_4053.JPG

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just guessing but maybe a burrow from some creature that filled with sand, the rock around it eroded and the sandstone remained

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely would have picked it up too, I wonder what the beginning stages of a bird effigy looked like ?? Is there any examples anyone could provide I’m curious if they would have made a rough outline first ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread