sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Green as I got. Merry Christmas, everybody.

green.jpg green1.jpg

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I am 100% positive the material is Harrison County flint. This material is one of favorite materials. I used to find a lot of this material in the 1980's and 90's. Now not as common to find for me.

I think I find it more Harrison County material in certain areas.

I have had a number of relic pictured in Lars books, and was friends with him up till he passed.

One interesting aspect of Harrison County material is in the manner it patina's. In its natural state its a dark bluish or blackish color, hard to get the shading exact. I think the color is dependent on the minerals in the earth in the location it forms the large nodules and in the actual size of the nodules.

I have found Harrison County relic next to each other, at the same time, same hunt, were on is a dark blackish and the other within inches has a nice light chocolate patina. Or another time I found a relic where one side was the light chocolate patina and the other not hardly patina'ed at all. Possibly influenced by sunlight and ground minerals and the sun light rays, visible or invisible spectrum, having an influence on the patina formation.

Note the colors on this relic I found in 1989. The arrows point to the area where the natural stone color is seen.
20191222_110639B.jpg

The tip is a nick, the nick exposed the natural color when the patina was removed on the flake.

The other arrows point to an area where the relic, I am guessing picked up at a later date, had a spokeshave knapped into the edge.

Some may discount that spokeshave. Thats ok - its armchair authentication at that point. The spoke shave is an intentional knapped area - the middle arrow points to finer secondary knapping. If you zoom into the area under the rightmost arrow you can also make out additional knapping on the edge.

The main take away from this is the material patination.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Here’s one that rarely comes out of its case. It’s the one that got me started.
Susquehanna Broad Blade
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1577118280.433979.jpg

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don’t most arrowheads look like Christmas trees????

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There are a heap that don't. Bulltongue Simpson, Hardaway, Boggy Branch, Cowhouse Slough, Clovis...speaking of a Bulltongue Simpson, finding one sure would make my Christmas!

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

None of mine look like Christmas trees. That’s why I posted the fern. I’m going to find a Pine Tree next year and change that...

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Wow. I remember the feeling of finding pieces like that. Must have put a thrill up your leg like Chris Mathews. Wow!
Thanks. I was really thrilled to find it. I showed it in-situ to my hunting buddy and have a great picture of him laying on the ground next to it flipping me off :). Good times. Always hard to find a nice archaic piece.

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
Like the fern fossil. I found several in Missouri, back the 80's, in the park outside Whiteman AFB, while hunting arrowheads. Now I wish I had been more interested in them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread