Questions about some possible Indian items

bonedoctor

Aug 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! I’ve posted here before about some things I’ve been finding on my property. These include trade points, and trade hatchet, and some different Indian jewelry. I’ve recently find some unusual items and I have questions about them.

First, I have read that Indians scored metal and then bent/broke it off as a form of shaping things. I found this scrap of bass / bronze recently. You can see it has been scored at least a couple times, and partially broken off. 4D3CCA0D-452B-4532-8614-285EF837DFC5.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bonedoctor

Aug 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is pretty rare that in trade era items they would intentionally cast different metals and cast a point. They did not have the technology of metallurgy. So what ever that clump is that they were using had to have been melted down from something else. High heat requires a forge or at the least some billows. The more I look at that new point it appears to be cold forged and hammered together? Your site has a lot of history and am glad you are saving it all. The coins are something else. I think I saw a pipe you found as well. Do not clean the pipe anymore than you have it is perfect the way it is. Are the historic maps showing what was there in the past?

I think they just melted down whatever they could get. I have dug up a piece of iron ore, and also some slag with a very high content of copper. I thought I was digging a penny! The silver point and the silver slag were both xray tested, which is accurate to 1/100 of a percent. Both have the same unusual makeup. So, they were apparently making them on the location. There is an area where the majority of the slag is. Maybe 5x5 foot square. There is a depression there, with some signs of previous fire a foot deep. Also, what we have called a "well cap" may not be what we thought. Ive posted pictured of this in places before and nobody can figure out what it is. Maybe it was part of some old forge, and not actually the top to a well? Whatever it was, it is located a few feet from the main source of silver slag.

OP
OP
B

bonedoctor

Aug 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture of the bottom side of what we thought was a well cap. This is next to the silver slag deposit. You can see there was a 6x6 inch square hole in the slab. The slab itself is 3’x3’. You can see the underside has a channel around the square hole and it exits the side. The slab is 4” thick. Pretty unusual.

03272237-0BB6-465C-B0B8-AB92345B7D88.png

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh Snap, tomclark likes him too, I'll be dammed....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 11.27.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 11.27.07 PM.png
    276.2 KB · Views: 31

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread