Thonotosassa's

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20191222_140519~2.jpg
Thonotosassa points named by Bullen after Lake Thonotosassa in I believe Hillsborough County, Fl. The 2 smaller ones could be typed Sumpter's. Since I found them with the bigger ones and a lot of brokes I feel they may be Thonto's worn down and discarded. The long one made of Greasy agate is a true beauty. I bought it from the finder. The site I was on in Pasco County was rich in flake blades and chips. I have a pile of Baybottom chert that I found there as well, chips to big cobbles. Just a few whole points were found by me and a buddy. I think it was a camp or somewhere they chipped blades and tools. All appear to be heat treated.

Upvote 0

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Lovely!! I think it's a rare type and mostly limited to Central West FL.... and where most of them (classic) I know of or can I.D. as such have been found. Lake Thonotosassa being the type site...a LOAD of them have been found in that region, check Google Earth!! lol. Funny how the Thono-Sumter-Putnam confusion reigns with collectors and online. projectilepoints.net , as an example, is horrible with that mess imhop. Shape/Size/Location/FoundWith important. They certainly overlap in all the spots we've found them excepting isolated small camps

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I found this one, I thought I had a Thono, but didn't realize they had such a limited distribution area. A fellow at a show said it was probably a Sumter. I found it in the southernmost part of west central Georgia. Hadn't thought of a Putnam. Measures 6 inches in length. What are your thoughts?

blade2a.jpg blade2c.jpg
blade2b.jpg

Last edited:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I found this one, I thought I had a Thono, but didn't realize they had such a limited distribution area. A fellow at a show said it was probably a Sumter. I found it in the southernmost part of west central Georgia. Hadn't thought of a Putnam. Measures 6 inches in length. What are your thoughts?

I think it's awesome.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 1787098 View attachment 1787099
View attachment 1787100
I think it is a beauty! I agree with Tom about Thono's being usually from a small area of West Central Fl. That is where mine are from. That being said yours look like a classic Thonto and one can never tell how a point arrived at a certain location. Sumpter...no! To me classic heat treated Thonotosassa. JMHO.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't realize there were flint sources in FL other than coral. Greasy agate is a new one on me. How many other types of flint are there down in the sunshine state? Gary

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure looks like classic Thonotosassa...size, base, nice random flaking on the body but the edgework seems a little more into the Archaic..... that sure is an oddity. Super sweet!! Wow.

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I didn't realize there were flint sources in FL other than coral. Greasy agate is a new one on me. How many other types of flint are there down in the sunshine state? Gary

I know of Coastal Plains Chert, Baybottom Chert, & the Greasy Agate. I'm sure there are other types as well. Similar to Ohio Flintridge Flint they all got their start in the ocean.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
24.jpg baybottomMX.jpg Columbia8a.jpg CK218.jpg rindbaseknife (1).JPG Weedon.jpg First three are "Baybottom Chert", last three are "Greasy Agate"

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is a beauty! I agree with Tom about Thono's being usually from a small area of West Central Fl. That is where mine are from. That being said yours look like a classic Thonto and one can never tell how a point arrived at a certain location. Sumpter...no! To me classic heat treated Thonotosassa. JMHO.

Sure looks like classic Thonotosassa...size, base, nice random flaking on the body but the edgework seems a little more into the Archaic..... that sure is an oddity. Super sweet!! Wow.

I found it on a gravel bar not usually exposed after a long, dry summer. I wish I had had a camera or a cell phone back then to show how it looked before I picked it up. I honestly didn't know if it was flint, wood or a piece of rubber. It had such a thick coating of dried black scum on it that you couldn't see the first flake scar. It wasn't until I tapped it with my fingernail that I thought about picking it up. A good scrubbing with a handful of wet sand is all it took to clean it the way you see it. I could sure use another day like that about now!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions