Help identifying inherited points

Woodbooger

Greenie
Jan 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I’m new to the artifact section of the forum so please go easy. A while back I acquired these arrowheads etc. that have been passed down throughout the family and I’m just getting around to ask for help. Originally found well over 100 years ago in a cave on private property near Endless Caverns in New Market, VA. I’m Very interested in knowing what the brown triangle shaped stone is. It has a carved groove and looks to also have a small indention on top. Thanks for the help, and let me know if you see anything else good in the pics! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582111699.396589.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582111716.939630.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582111737.192931.jpg

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Cool finds. You have some old archaic points in there as well as some more recent (but still prehistoric) stuff as well. Great group.

Not sure what that particular piece could be. It sort of reminds me of some of the Ft Ancient pipes.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
I'm seeing a likely plummet (grooved cone), a nice celt (ungrooved axe), some archaic and woodland dart/arrow points and knives and a Cobb knife and a few more, nice lil collection.

OP
OP
W

Woodbooger

Greenie
Jan 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm seeing a likely plummet (grooved cone), a nice celt (ungrooved axe), some archaic and woodland dart/arrow points and knives and a Cobb knife and a few more, nice lil collection.

Thanks! Wow, never knew what a plummet was until a quick google. Makes perfect since, looks exactly like a triangle lead sinker

Last edited:

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think unfinished pipe more likely than a plummet.... can you post a up close pic of both ends the dimple may be where drilling had started

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is some great stuff!! Be cool if you could ID and catalogue each piece.

Guardrailnickel

Jan 11, 2020
Pa. 19512
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not %100 sure, however the stone with the groove and indent on the top, appears to be a bead rest. About 20 years ago I found a similar item here in PA. The bead rest was placed in the split of a log. A bead was placed in the indent. The bead was then drilled.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions