Porphyry Birdstone Head

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Picked out of owner's Great Grandfather collection; found on fields bordering a Finger Lake, central NY. About 2 inches x 2 inches. So delicate....so beautiful.

bird1.jpg
bird2.jpg

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I have a body I found in Lewis county Kentucky but I never could find the head and you could see it was fresh break.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Awesome piece. Porphyry is much more common for pop-eyed birdstones or fantail birdstones than the elongated neck varieties, really interesting piece.

I only bring this up to give a sense of rareness. The Vermont Birdstone sold this weekend for almost $330,000 this weekend (hammer price plus buyers premium.)

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/80829959_the-vermont-birdstone-the-finest-of-all-the-porphyry

Yours might not have been in that stratosphere when whole, but it definitely would have been an expensive relic. Having a big piece of one is still really freaking cool.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am honored be its caretaker. To be honest, I almost didn't buy it.....and initially thought it was a tail....but I did toss it (figuratively) onto my 'purchase pile'....paid embarrassing little for it......told the Seller that if she and husband ever stumble across the body, give me a call!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread