Edgychris

Edgychris

Jan 23, 2020
Pilgrim Rock
Detector(s) used
Please reccommend in private message
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Anyway. I now have friendly competition. Just sad how apparent and identical the search patterns the boots were in. Very evident I was watched to the very T. Ugh. Anyway. Plenty of arrowheads for everyone.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
i understand. It can be challenging.

In the 70 I started seeing others hunting in fields and respected their space. Went to other fields. But back then not as many folks hunted relics it seems.

In the 80s and into the 90s when I ran into someone searching a field I hunted, I took that opportunity to introduce myself. On occasion a deep friendship took hold. One was my closest friend through think and thin for 30 years.

Perspective.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that can be a sucky feeling when that happens. Never thought to ask before now, but do you have the location on your camera/phone turned off?

Arkansaw

Nov 23, 2018
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is it public property? Or do you have permission to be there on private? Snare trap should solve your dilemma

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Edgy,

If you are new to collecting, you could very well have stumbled on to someone's sites. On rivers and beaches there are only so many places to look, if you hunt the shore you'll eventually wind up where someone else hunted.

I remember 30+ years ago I hunted a field in Indiana, I didn't see a house nearby so I just started looking. (I was a kid and it was more acceptable back then to walk a plowed field without permission.) I found several pieces right off the bat, and was having a great day thinking I was the first person to hunt that field. A couple hours in to the hunt a truck pulled up, and I started walking over thinking it was the farmer. Turns out it was an older gentleman who told me it was a great site, he had been hunting it for years. (He got me into the local archaeological society, and shared a lot of knowledge over the years.)

You can't find them all; unless you own the land footprints only mean you should have gotten there earlier.

Joshua

Last edited:

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Like Joshua, I’d like to encourage you to consider that the other surface collector (on your site) was likely not stalking or spying on you.
It is more probable that they walked that area long before you discovered it. As you have stated, you’re the newbie, so it may be wise to be gracious.
I’d like to add (regarding your other posts) that unauthorized digging for artifacts in MA is illegal and is problematic even on private property.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm OK with walking in the footsteps of others on my sites. They always miss stuff lolol. I don't! hahahaha I couldn't tell how many times I've found something great almost in anothers footsteps.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sites have been hunted by others for years . And I learned of them from another hunter . They sure missed a lot lol .

OP
OP
Edgychris

Edgychris

Jan 23, 2020
Pilgrim Rock
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
My sites have been hunted by others for years . And I learned of them from another hunter . They sure missed a lot lol .

Yes. Understand everything mentioned. However the spots were covered exactly how i cover them. Beelines to exact locations and beelines to others. Its ok. Will go this week sometime see if anywhere missed.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, if it's like many areas that produce artifacts on the surface, it will be productive again after another good shower.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a field that I had to hunt while it was raining or I would just find foot prints. There was a lot of good points, tools, and hard stone items there. The land has now changed hands and I no longer have permission to hunt it. It was apparently bought by the Moron Church. I wonder if the other guy who hunted knows this as well.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a very popular Ft Ancient Village site called The Goldcamp Site that I have see as many as 17 people in there at the same time. I would go up at daybreak and could usually get a couple hours in before they would start showing up. The site was so loaded that everybody found something. One of the good things was most of them only looked for Points so I would go behind them and pick up all the Beads they missed along with Points they didn't see. Another advantage I had was I would stay for 8 hours or more some days while most others would hunt for an hour or a little more and then move on, plus I would get down and crawl in the heavily concentrated areas to see things better.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It happens. When I go to coin beach in Delaware, I have literally found colonial coppers right next to other people's footprints. Its public lands. It happens.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
It's part of the game and fortunately I rarely run into other's footprints or the creatures that leave them. Although one time I ended up on a field the same time as another guy did and we said Hi and ended up walking the field together for the next few hours sharing stories, it was a great time.

Knut dirtfisk

Jul 2, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Proportional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None are more taken in by flattery than the proud, who wish to be the first and are not.

OP
OP
Edgychris

Edgychris

Jan 23, 2020
Pilgrim Rock
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
It's part of the game and fortunately I rarely run into other's footprints or the creatures that leave them. Although one time I ended up on a field the same time as another guy did and we said Hi and ended up walking the field together for the next few hours sharing stories, it was a great time.
Thank you for the reassurances and shared experience. Still a lil uneasy for me. Anyway. Its time to get down do some book study and make some treks out to new areas. Thinking deep woods spots. I really likes the solitude. I know competition. I am an avid fisherman. Fisherman also seems to run at you when you have a fish on. Its part of the game I understand very well. I know they prob feel the same way. However, all that nervous energy to get futher ahead will make me miss ass well as them to miss. So, I will stick to my same pace. Thanks guys

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. Understand everything mentioned. However the spots were covered exactly how i cover them. Beelines to exact locations and beelines to others. Its ok. Will go this week sometime see if anywhere missed.

I think if anything that means the other person has probably hunted that spot long before you and skips over the bad spots same as you ...... most of my beach sites it didn’t take long to figure out the good spots from the bad also I don’t think many would take the time to hide and watch your every move than go “mimic “ your hunt. While all points are nice the ones you have been finding are “field grade” points wouldn’t be worth all the trouble

OP
OP
Edgychris

Edgychris

Jan 23, 2020
Pilgrim Rock
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
None are more taken in by flattery than the proud, who wish to be the first and are not.

Your the only one boasting here..
I find interesting how most people can relate, but only a couple call me the newbie and try to put me down in a very quote fashion way. Perhaps you do the same thing.. Perhaps not. My intention on the post, was to see if others have sharedd the same experience. I may be a newbie to nomenclature and this website, but thats the extent. Didn't you mother say, "If you dont have anything nice to say, don't say it at all." If your out to teach me a life lesson, maybe you didnt listen to your mother.

I am not the first an niether were you. The indians made the goshdarn things 10k years ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Edgychris

Edgychris

Jan 23, 2020
Pilgrim Rock
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
There more going on than I can explain to you.
Perhaps next time I run into them I will show them one. Perhaps not. Depends on the meet and greet. Last time they ran away quickly like they were up to no good. Was trying to get to that.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread