Indian Petroglyph possibly ?

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
This is in back of one of the big caves on family land. Looks old to me thanks for looking

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583166968.349438.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583166979.819347.jpg

It’s probably 12 inches tall by 9 inches wide maybe. I need to take a good light up in there and investigate

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

MCX

Apr 21, 2018
NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look like a Native American petroglyph to me...grooves are too deep, grooves appear to have been made by a metal tool, etc.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is in back of one of the big caves on family land. Looks old to me thanks for looking View attachment 1807203 View attachment 1807204

It’s probably 12 inches tall by 9 inches wide maybe. I need to take a good light up in there and investigate

Interesting. I know nothing about petroglyphs but that's pretty neat. Please always tell us what state you are in and even the region if you like. Put some paper against it and rub it with a charcoal crayon.

OP
OP
K

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
I am in eastern Ky Elliott and Morgan county I tried to scar wall with different rocks I found laying around and couldn’t get close to this. Looks like an H with flags on top to me. Thanks for input

OP
OP
K

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
This was on a different cave floor nearby around the cliffs I posted bunch of pics in the Kentucky forum ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583171731.927516.jpg

First point I’ve ever found. Broke but pretty

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought “H” as well , you far back in the cave is it ? Any pics of the cave .... wish there was some around me would love to explore them

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe it's an old map of the cave system. I don't see a "You Are Here" on it though.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The glyphs are man-made.
I'm confused, it looks like two images of the same, side/side.

Inspector Comet

Jan 3, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The glyphs are man-made.
I'm confused, it looks like two images of the same, side/side.

Looks like it is in fact two images side by side. I glanced through most of the "Futhark" type runic languages also (at least those that I could find on Wikipedia), and I didn't see any characters that look quite like this, unless they combined a couple of the characters into one. I didn't see any examples of that though, and also it looks like most of the examples of that type of language are found in Europe near Germany.

So, I'm stumped. Whatever it is, it's pretty cool...

OP
OP
K

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
It’s just the one H as far as I know. I just uploaded two different pics of the same “H”. Also. Guess it’s not a cave that goes all over. It’s more of a huge rock overhang that has 70 ft waterfall coming down in front of it. Like a rock house possibly. Just in the side of some cliffs. Creek drops right over top. I can post pics of rock house or cave here shortly

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard for me to follow but looks like one of the meanings of this rune is hail or precipitation, which would be fitting.

Inspector Comet

Jan 3, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why the "Futhark" is Futhark in a cave in Kentucky?��

My suspicion would be because it's not Futhark. BUT I certainly don't know for sure and others are welcome to disagree. Don't hurt me guys, I could be wrong...

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone here loves this sort of thing, thanks for sharing. I don’t think there are any right or wrong answers, no one can ever be sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread