"Wrong" workmanship Might not Be Fakery

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Some Later people were arrowhead collectors too. And when they couldn't find them, they made them.

This Dovetail point was found in 1986 by Angela Austin and Donnie Armstrong in association with Benton points in Cheatham County, Tennessee. It has Benton style chipping and grinding in the basal area. It was found in a shell mound that sat near the bridge that crosses the Cumberland River. It measures 5 inches in length and is made from a deep brown Dover chert.
Collection of Leroy Irons, Gallatin, Tennessee.

Central States Archaeological Societies images from the October 2018 issue

(Scroll down to picture)

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I agree about your point. Lots of good examples of ancient people treating even older relics as either a quarry blank, or even examples of curating items.<br>
<br>
Looking at that Dovetail I'm left wondering what Benton workmanship looks like, from the picture it looks like a really high quality dovetail from nose to tail. I'll have to check out the article in the paper copy to see if they detail out what Leroy sees. Benton sites have produced some interesting curated relics from other areas.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found my Clovis on an archaic campsite on low ground. I believe it was found elsewhere and brought back to their camp and later lost. When an Indian dug a hole on a well used campsite he had the possibility of finding something much older. Gary

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, natives must have run across points the same way we do. Just lying on the surface. And they did at times collect them. I remember one time finding an obvious water tumbled point in a field far from the bays where we surface hunt.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
This would be a good time for the teacher step in with illustrations pointing out the differences between Benton and Dovetail flake patterns.

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once heard a story from a reliable source, that the mummified remains of a NA was found in a cave in Colorado. The remains carbon dated to mid archaic, but there was a bag of Clovis points with the mummy. Sorry, I don't remember many details anymore, but was told this by a highly regarded archaeologist.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
&quot;Wrong&quot; workmanship Might not Be Fakery

For starters, the base isn't bulby (thick) (chunky) enough (rounded up & over quickly).

IMO FWIW

I do not know of this type being found in my locale. But, I’m curious do to endless photos of examples available to view online.

I found this article (Arrowheads.com 2010) noting 5 different forms (indicating a cluster), which includes a finely made-with thinner base. I didn’t see much pushback or disagreement with this statement.

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum...hern-ms-al-ga-gc58/111086-dovetail-st-charles

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A knapper buddy asked me if I had any Hardin points. He was trying to copy one and needed a sample. I sent him 7 broken Hardins to study. He contacted me and said they were all different from each other, but they were all no doubt Hardins. Same recipe, but a different cook in the kitchen. Gary

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
For starters, the base isn't bulby (thick) (chunky) enough (rounded up & over quickly).

IMO FWIW

There are varieties that fit those traits. (The Hiproof style, as well as some localized varieties.

I don't doubt Leroy, I'm sure he's got reasons for writing what he wrote.

I was more just pondering that I'll have to check out that issue.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this article (Arrowheads.com 2010) noting 5 different forms (indicating a cluster), which includes a finely made-with thinner base. I didn’t see much pushback or disagreement with this statement.

Elderly, buggy computer on this end is unable to connect with that site. Can't offer info on what I can't see :dontknow:

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
A knapper buddy asked me if I had any Hardin points. He was trying to copy one and needed a sample. I sent him 7 broken Hardins to study. He contacted me and said they were all different from each other, but they were all no doubt Hardins. Same recipe, but a different cook in the kitchen. Gary

Speaking of a different cook....I've often wondered about even "the recipe". just because you were part of one group of NA' s wouldn't necessarily dictate that your projectile points be identical and appear as one "type".

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of a different cook....I've often wondered about even "the recipe". just because you were part of one group of NA' s wouldn't necessarily dictate that your projectile points be identical and appear as one "type".

Iv wondered that myself seems foolish to assume that any type of point absolutely has to be from a certain time frame because of the shape and style of it .... surely there was some that made whatever points they were good at regardless of what others were making at the time I think at the end of the day it’s all just a best guess as far as time frames and types are concerned but that’s just my opinion

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
That isn't the way people think/behave.

On purely utiliterian grounds, a dress would probably be more comfortable than trousers in summer. But I doubt if you'd be caught dead wearing one in public.

1830 -- nobody had a beard.

1880 -- everybody had a beard.

1930 -- nobody had a beard . . .

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
That isn't the way people think/behave.

On purely utiliterian grounds, a dress would probably be more comfortable than trousers in summer. But I doubt if you'd be caught dead wearing one in public.

1830 -- nobody had a beard.

1880 -- everybody had a beard.

1930 -- nobody had a beard . . .

I get yer point uniface, but there is always that "rebel" element that has to be different.
I'ld like to see the article you referred to at arrowheads .com.
stay safe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread