Close-Ups of Three Interesting Points

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still practicing my smart phone photography skills, but here goes!
These three were rescued from Old Timers' Finger Lakes NY collections, but the lithic materials - maybe the points themselves - traveled from another State/Region, I would say. Using NYS typology, I would identify the lanceolate point as a Fox Creek; also shown is a pretty Adena; and a handsome Stark. Any input on the typology is more than welcomed!

Fox 2.jpg
Fox1.jpg
Adena 1.jpg
Adena 2.jpg
stark1.jpg
stark2.jpg

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those pictures look really good but I always had the best luck by laying the flat on a non reflective surface. When you hold them in your hand the camera will focus back and forth and you may get some bad spots.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found that taking the photo at a focal length of about 18" then cropping seems to work best.
Using a third party app like ProCamera helps because you can have separate focus and lighting points.

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice points and nice pictures with no feet, no dirty dishes, no unmade bed. I think you've got it figgered out!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice points and nice pictures with no feet, no dirty dishes, no unmade bed. I think you've got it figgered out!
NO! Only the worst of the worst have dirty dishes and untrimmed toe nails!
My house is perfectly kept as if I had a housekeeper. Not.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...My house is perfectly kept as if I had a housekeeper. Not.

Neither is mine. The key is not showing it in the photos of our artifacts, by looking beyond the subject to what lies in the background before taking the picture.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Uniface. Has an older look. To my eye that first one looks like a Brown's Valley paleo. Here are a couple BV's for reference. Gary

Brown's Valley 1.png Brown's Valley 2.png

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good tip, Grim. I like the 18" focal length tip from IMAUDIGGER, also. One benefit of holding the piece is that fingers provide a reference point for size.....and it's easier to finely adjust the lighting by tilting your hand. Lighting is my biggest challenge. Will work on it....got some time on my hands.

Fox Creek was just a wild guess - that first point is one of my favorites for sure. I certainly HOPE it's Paleo old! Wow!
Brown's Valley is so extremely rare... Very few examples to be found online, anywhere for comparison.

How about a late Paleo "Plainview?" Online examples looks close to me.

Plainview Projectile Point

Last edited:

ohiofinds 1

Jan 17, 2020
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first point does look early with the basal thinning flakes and is probably paleo if the base is ground.It is made of ohio vanport.The second point might be vanport also.
Your photos are good,showing the flake scars and accurate colors. It is easy to make a four light photography stand from pvc pipe and many cameras can be tuned to the color temperature of the bulbs.
5000k is a natural daylight bulb.That way you can have the same lighting everytime.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two pics in morning sun to show long basal thinning flake / flute, as well as showing another perspective of the flaking pattern.
Two pics under desk lamp light to show basal grinding that continues laterally, up the sides.

fluted1.jpg
fluted2.jpg
flute3.jpg
flute4.jpg

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
OA : in light of the area, unfinished Crowfield wouldn't be implausible IMO.

FWIW

Most of those tend to be widest towards the distal end (at or above the midpoint.) The fluting tends to be a bit different, and the cross section/side view is flat & thin. I was thinking Hi-Lo, they can be heavier towards the proximal end. But I do agree, an older point.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice pix...shows flute, basal grinding...and maybe at least one overshot flake pattern? dang nice point!

Hi-Lo - Joshuaream nailed it (...as usual...) , I would say. And to be in this excellent condition after 8,000 to 10,000 years is just awe inspiring. It was gathering dust in a spider-webbed basement shelf when I rescued it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions