looks fishy...

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
.....due to a dastardly break and an inclusion of some sort. Damn sad what a beauty it was.
Not certain if it may have been a San Saba Biface or ?

DSC02040.JPG DSC02039.JPG

Upvote 0

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Bummer.

What does the break look like? Could you supply a few images of the break please?

OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Last edited:

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your welcome. Yes, it's not all that "triangular" even with the top missing. I believe you mean a convex stem. The two types you mentioned are not typically found in Texas. So where in Texas was this point found (county)? Let's see if Jon Busch (Relicgrubber) will chime in and give us his opinion. I'll ask him to. I think there's enough there to determine a definite type.

Last edited:

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
When I find broken relics, the break area can tell you a lot.

It can tell you if the break is relatively recent, or older.

If recent there is a greater percentage that the broke portion may be found as well. This does not mean an older break portion could NOT be found, its just lower odd of occurrence.

A recent break will have very little patina or materialization.

From the photo it looks like to me an older break. That make it a Big Time Serious Bummer.
fishy.jpg

It looks like some materialization can be seen and a little smoothing of the break which can occur over many years after the break.
A recent break sometimes show a different color on some flint, and often sharp break edges.

Of course this observation is from a photo and may not be completely accurate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread