Bannerstone from another area

Davey Crockett

Mar 28, 2020
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a good time to try figure out and sort and label our finds and pass them along to out kids and grandkids some day. My wife was at an estate sale and bought this banner stone . The previous owner had been a rock hound about 20 miles away for many years but we never knew him. It doesn't look like any type of rock I see in this area so it may have came from somewhere else if he traveled.

bannerstone3.jpg

bannerstone.jpg

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about the Banner. I am always suspect of pieces like that. Just too perfect and an unusual material.

I would like like to see those pieces in the background though if you could post them. Thanks.

OP
OP
D

Davey Crockett

Mar 28, 2020
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there a lot of reproductions out there ? I've never put a value on them just collected them but it would be nice to get an idea what they are worth. Most are worthless some may be worth a little but still cool to have and to pass on, That's priceless . I'm hoping someone will recognize the type of rock that would lead me toward a region. The Grim reaper, I'll post a couple of pics probably tomorrow. We are getting snow so it will be a good day to tinker with rocks.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can’t pass it on till you can explain what it was used for.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I'd agree with Grim, the odds of that being authentic are slim (just because so many are faked.). But I will say that it looks pretty well made, the walls of the barrel are thinner than 99% of the common replicas out there.

The style to me suggests Southern Illinois or across the river into Missouri, the material might have come from Missouri. They have been found elsewhere, but most of the authentic ones I have seen are from a couple counties in Southern Illinois.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
can you please post more images of the banner, closeups of the wings, hole and profiles from multiple views?

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian's were known to have a pretty far trade system, I've heard they often traded flint from other area's. HH

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Material looks like purple quartzite that I see in the glacial till here in Cent. IL. Most butterfly quartz banners are made from semi translucent quartzite that is reddish or orangish in color. Although the purple quartzite is common here, I've never seen an authentic artifact made from it, but you never know. Gary

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
That's a good point Gary.

on the "but you never know." angle, it seems that there can be very unique relics that come up in to the public view every now and then.

for example, while I have not ever never seen a serrated clovis, but one was at the Collinsville events and made the CSASI 2009 Jan cover Central States Archaeological Societies January 2009 table of contents

examples that were once thought not to be found, well, you never know until one is.

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have posted several items i thought were authentic and Grim was the first person to question my artifacts. I sent them in to be authenticated and they all came back reproductions but they said they were museum quality repo's lol.

OP
OP
D

Davey Crockett

Mar 28, 2020
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a hard one to get a decent picture of because of the shine . It does have some grain to it , I'll practice some more and see what I can do with a camera.
For the guy that asked to see the rocks in the background.

rocks1.jpg rocks 2.jpg

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread