Prob made babies along the way amonst every tribe

Lol. Idk but theirs a reason

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coming through now. Wow you and wife have gathered up some dandy examples,thanks for showing

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All the photos showed up fine for me in your post. Sometimes I get that invalid attachment message too in other posts. Just never know.

If one of my photos is cropped, I get a message about the file size being wrong, and I just don’t use that photo. I did not get that message with the photos that would not show, so I posted them. But they must have been cropped at some point by me, they were old photos. Solved it by simply taking new photos and not cropping them. Then I found a couple older photos from the Robbins Museum that worked....

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Charl,
Those are amazing to me. Today I went and found what I beleive are three Snappit points in a four square foot area. Two week sago I found again 2 full not chipped Snappits in the same 4 square foot area. Here are the three from today. Sorry photo is upside down. Need a new phone as lense is scratched. I do believe this tiny kitchen table sized area will produce more full snappits in a couple weeks. Do you have any idea ofwhy so many full points in literally 4 square feet. Definitely not a discard pile. Did they stash them on specific vantage point.s? All perfect.

Best Regards
Chris

The Snappit points will usually show grinding on the base. Squibnocket Triangles, by definition, will not have grinding. I only mention this because it is so hard to tell the two types apart. As to the concentration you mention, I just don’t know your site like you do, and cannot really answer that for you. I guess you can’t rule out cache...

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Charl,

Could it have been traded from NC with a personal twist on design...perhaps a left handed hunter..?

I assume you are referring to our New England Hardaway-Dalton type. The Dalton tradition is unknown in New England. Meaning, I guess, no large Dalton sites, with everything associated with Dalton. But, isolated finds are a different story. And I have seen some killer no-brainer Dalton points. With only isolated surface finds of the style we call Hardaway-Dalton, and, for the most part, little resemblance to the Hardaway-Dalton of North Carolina, I don’t know how we reconstruct a relationship.

Most classic NC Hardaway-Daltons have those attractive, recurved ears. Our version does not. Our Hardaway Side Notch finds do have Hardaway- like ears, but, even there, I have only seen a few New England Hardaway Side Notch points that would pass easily as the type if found in North Carolina. Personally, I don’t believe we should have ever adopted that Southeast point type name, namely Hardaway-Dalton, at all. Our Hardaway-Daltons deserve their own, unique name. Which will be a site name, if an undisturbed, datable site containing our New England style is ever found and studied. I do believe it is safe to assume our New England Hardaway-Daltons are at least Early Archaic, maybe appearing in Late Paleo. Though, generally, the Southeast type forms, like Kirk, probably appear here with more recent dates than Kirks and other Early Archaic types from the Southeast.

Right now, it just is not possible to say what the relationship is between our Hardaway-Dalton points, and the classic form from NC.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s a very cool and interesting point from what I can see.

I doubt it’s an arrowhead, but agree with the Hardaway-Dalton grouping that we see here in the Northeast.

It’s hard to see from the clarity of the photos if I see basal thinning, fluting (on one side) or what finish was used at the base.

Charlie raised a great question regarding the presents of grinding on the Snappit or Squibnocket Triangles.
I’m not sure if anyone inquired about grinding at the basal area of the point in question, but that information is important.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread