possible clay pottery fragment

dogfish

Greenie
May 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was searching some fields in West TN and found quite a bit of point fragments, a hammer stone and a piece of what appears to me to be clay pottery all in a 50 foot area. I know nothing about pottery so I'm hoping someone can help me identify it. This is a family farm that we have found many points but this appears to be where someone was knapping and the stone clearly shows the worn area in the middle. Many of the fragments were in groups. This is a hill that is washing away on a family farm next to a river.The complete point picture was found a few years ago by my brother about 100 yards from this spot. Thanks in advance for any help.

IMG_6523.JPG IMG_6524.JPG IMG_6525.JPG IMG_6526.JPG IMG_6527.JPG IMG_6532.JPG IMG_6533.JPG IMG_6510 (1).PNG

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your pottery looks glazed which would not be Native made. The point is real nice!

OP
OP
D

dogfish

Greenie
May 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the consensus is it is not native american but now I don't even have a clue what it could be besides that i'm quite sure it's clay pottery. It was found far away from any roads or homes and in the middle of many other native pieces along a small river. I looked at some Chinese pottery from the 18th century that has a very similar glaze, the glaze is even cracking the same as what I see on my piece. There is a stock pill of dirt at the bottom of the hill that has washed off of the field that I am going to sift when I go back so maybe I will find more pieces/clues. Thanks to those that responded.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well many sites were used by many cultures so that would explain the glazed pottery. Hit the area with a metal detector seems to be a nice multi use site. Got lots of fine native american flint in there.

OP
OP
D

dogfish

Greenie
May 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it may be the bottom of a churn or crock.

I agree with the bottom, after I read your post I looked at it again and I always thought the flat spot was a scrape but actually it looks like the bottom corner and when I set it flat on that spot the brush or tool marks are horizontal and look correct. Thanks for the help.
clay.png

OP
OP
D

dogfish

Greenie
May 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the same spot this weekend looking for more pieces of clay but didn't find any but I did find several flakes and a nice top half of a point. I'm thinking it broke while being knapped since I have found many fragments in the same 10' area it was found. I looked hard for the other half but did not find it.
IMG_6704.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread