Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20200519_141602 (2).jpg 20200519_141619 (2).jpg 20200519_163954.jpg
Only took 30 yrs. but finally got a calf creek. Don't make it out much any more but was able to get out a couple weeks ago after a local river flooded. It washed through an Archaic site but I sure wasn't expecting the calf creek. Not too far from it, I also found a Nebo Hill pt. Turned out to be a lot better day than I was expecting. Also found another Archaic pt. on a site close by.

Upvote 0

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beauty! If I found it I would call it Andice but basically the same cultures made Bell, Calfcreek ,and Andice.

That's a good one.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a wonderful find! They are such delicate points, it's great you got one full ear.
No doubt. I attended a knapping Experiment at TSU where some of the best modern knappers made them and flakes from every stage studied. I brought my frames for reference. The conclusion was that the main reason complete andice are so rare now is that complete andice were rare during the time the cultures made them. I have many notching failures in my study frame. Even if the point was completed and hafted, it likely lost an ear on the first use or resharpening. One of the most failure probe artifacts. They didn't mind using them well after the ears were gone either.

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats! I love seeing those deep notches....

OP
OP
K

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This site seems to be strictly an Archaic site. Most sites seem to be multi-component with Woodland and Archaic mixed together but not this one. It seems strange that I had never found any broken Calf Creeks. Don't know why they would only make one or two unless it was a specialty tool and I don't believe that to be the case. I remember reading an article years ago where they found one imbedded it a bison calf skull. I wouldn't think they would have made that great of a projectile point though.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always exciting to find an artifact that you did not expect to find, ''Way to go''.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad others are probably buried 10’ below waiting to be eroded...

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 30 years that must feel real nice. Congrats?

How would a notch be made like that?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After 30 years that must feel real nice. Congrats?

How would a notch be made like that?

They probably used an antler punch with the preform held down tight against a flat padded surface. The flakes that come from punching notches are distinctive. Like little sea shells. Gary

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great point toddspoint. andice/calfcreek notch flakes are very diagnostic of the culture. Sergio at TSU has an Andice. They excavated and a notch flake he excavated that fits perfectly. So he literally found the last flake punched from the notch and amazingly matched it up to the mother point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20200604_164038.jpg
I took up flint knapping 25 years ago hoping to one day be able to replicate points I was having a hard time finding. Calf Creeks always fascinated me with there deep notches. It took a while but I was eventually able to produce them. These are a few that I made years ago. Not the best but they were better than anything that I had ever found. I punched out a few of the notches but most were pressure flaked with a flattened piece of copper. I believe Indians could have done the same thing with bone, although I have never tried it.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Now you will need a new bucket list item. I seem to have many bucket list items !!! Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread