70.5 KB · Views: 318
Upvote 0

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Kewl piece Ty, looks like a full grooved quartzite axe. I wonder if they were finished with it, it looks like it's still in the manufacturing stages? That's something that we really don't find much of here, wish we did!

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Pieces like that make me wonder, looks pretty beat up all the way around ... I'm guessing is served as more of a maul than an axe- just my .02 worth.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Awful thin at that one end for a Maul. It looks like they beat it to form and then were still in manufacturing stages when lost or discarded.
I have had several mauls from out that direction, and some of them were mighty "beefy". I kick myself in the arse every time I reflect on selling some large western axes & mauls I had some years back, some being extremely fine examples. I had one of the finest Hohokam axes / bean plows that I've seen to date.....wonder where it is now?

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Yeah, I had some mauls from the copper mines in the U.P. of Michigan that I sold... I know the feeling. And talk about beefy... holy smokes! You're right about it being tapered too much to be a maul but I don't think the beat up surfaces all the way around are because the piece was unfinished, I think some of it was probably from multi purpose "tooling". Or... maybe the guy was lazy like me and didn't finish it all the way... "ah.. that's close enough, it will work" LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions