sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...The neat part is that this can stimulate discussion.

Begging willjo's forgiveness, but here's another unusual one for more stimulation or discussion or whatever. This is one of the very first points I found. It's off the place where I was born and raised and still have my business, on the edge of a small town in west central Georgia. I found it while Daddy and I were walking a fire break on the high side of a small, intermittent creek. About all that's ever been found on this property and believe me, I've looked and still do. Very, very little flint to be found. I'm gonna turn it over to you guys and see where it goes, this fractured base Bolen Plain, or too small, far from home Snyders, or Decatur because of the tranchet flake removed across the base regardless of the point's outline. I know little to nothing about chert and flint types. Perhaps that might give some insight to its origin to those who know their rocks. Circled are the only areas that appear to be modern damage. The patina in the larger pock seems to be the same as the rest of the point. Thanks, everyone for tolerating me.

Will have to load the pics in separate posts. Won't let me post them all at once anymore.

Attachments

• jb.jpg
    jb.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 32
  • jb1.jpg
    jb1.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 32
  • jb2.jpg
    jb2.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 24

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More pics.

Attachments

• jb5.jpg
    jb5.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 27
  • jb4.jpg
    jb4.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 22
  • jb3.jpg
    jb3.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 25

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and more.

Attachments

• jb6.jpg
    jb6.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 23
  • jb7.jpg
    jb7.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 21
  • jb8.jpg
    jb8.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 25

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice point !

That edge looks exactly like the way paleo platters were split in two : a blow starts the seperation running at an angle (maybe 45 degrees) and it rotates quickly as it runs to 90 degrees.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So are you saying that flat edge at the base was that way on the preform and is not a tranchet flake removal?

OP
OP
willjo

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Begging willjo's forgiveness, but here's another unusual one for more stimulation or discussion or whatever. This is one of the very first points I found. It's off the place where I was born and raised and still have my business, on the edge of a small town in west central Georgia. I found it while Daddy and I were walking a fire break on the high side of a small, intermittent creek. About all that's ever been found on this property and believe me, I've looked and still do. Very, very little flint to be found. I'm gonna turn it over to you guys and see where it goes, this fractured base Bolen Plain, or too small, far from home Snyders, or Decatur because of the tranchet flake removed across the base regardless of the point's outline. I know little to nothing about chert and flint types. Perhaps that might give some insight to its origin to those who know their rocks. Circled are the only areas that appear to be modern damage. The patina in the larger pock seems to be the same as the rest of the point. Thanks, everyone for tolerating me.

Will have to load the pics in separate posts. Won't let me post them all at once anymore.

Don't worry about me i like the point

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not following the thought process on the decatur. I see no indication of a fractured base decatur. It does appear to be an early archaic corner notched knife form, so kirk, lost lake type stuff, but can't tell with the ears broken off like that. The blown out areas around the notches are the result of punch notching. A hard piece of antler is ground into the shape of a flathead screwdriver. A small pressure flake is then taken to start the notch and create a platform for the punch. The punch is seated down into the notch, sticking straight up, so 90 degrees to the stone, them struck straight down, or ever so slightly out ward (away from the stone). This blows out a "C" shaped notch. If the platform is especially stout, or if the punch if placed higher up in the notch, it can blow out a lot of stone. The process is a bit scary, especially if you don't do it a lot! Most modern knappers don't mess with it too much because they have metal pressure flakes, but if you are trying to knap only using original materials, it is really the only way to mimic a lot of the old notching.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before this thread I thought I had a pretty good handle on stone tool manufacture. I’m learning some good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread