sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goosebumpin' good stuff to consider. Love 'em all, but that brown point, wow. If these things only had a "play" button.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've seen a video showing Solutrean type points found in 40' of water off the Virginia coast along with Mastodon bones showing butchering marks. It was very interesting.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, those pieces from Small’s collection made the rounds, it’s been a number of years by now, by someone other than the finder attempting to sell them for big $$$. Now, newnan man may be talking about(or may not, but it sounds like it)the famous Cinmar blade, named after the scallop boat that dredged the blade and bones up. I forget the particulars now, but I recall some time after Stanford and Bradley made that find famous, and put the blade on the cover of “Across Atlantic Ice”, that the circumstances and exact location of the find became somewhat questionable. Not sure how that was resolved. Also, worth noting that two bipointed blades were recovered in digs in the Delmarva that were believed to be made of French flint. Stanford discounted the one that was found beneath a colonial chimney foundation, because of the possibility it had been brought over by the settler who built the homestead in question.

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
https://www.andywhiteanthropology.c...an-hypothesis-worth-about-10k-per-laurel-leaf

The author of the above mentions the points being hawked on “this forum”, but the link does not seem to load. But I’m sure this is the discussion and forum he is referring to, as I recall from when the discussion took place:

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum...gc8/178298-solutrean-american-artifacts/page3

Link above takes one to page 3, so you’ll have to go back to page 1 to see how that thread and pitch to sell the pieces progressed...

In any event, there are other links(including a thread that discusses valid questions regarding the circumstances of the Cinmar blade recovery), and food for thought, regarding these artifacts, including the Cinmar blade, at the links I’m providing here....

Last edited:

Aurora1959

May 29, 2019
Central New York State
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dennis Stanford was a fine archeologist, but the DNA evidence does not support the Solutrean theory. It's time to put it away forever. Zillions of people have been chipping stone tools for zillions of years - there's bound to be a few stylistic coincidences. They are not proof of cultural connection.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
It is beyond self-evident by now that the relevant DNA evidence is selectively presented (Windover Bog, anyone ?) and selectively interpreted -- both in service of a political objective.

In a trial, both sides argue their cases to the jury. You're trying to bypass that and jump directly to imposing your view. Which is, not to put too fine a point on it, trying to spread/amplify propaganda.

When what is presented as "public discourse" is a loudspeaker/echo chamber serving one side, you're looking at propaganda.

When the appeal (like yours) is based on the power of suggestion, it isn't science.

When spreading it is transparent virtue-signaling, it isn't science.

When the alternative view is supposed to be unthinkable because "it gives White racists support for their beliefs" (or any other consideration irrelevant to its truth or falsehood), it isn't science.

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
PS: It's apparent you've never read Across Atlantic Ice, where your alleged "few stylistic coincidences" are catalogued and examined in detail (something like 30-odd of them, many of them UNIQUE to those two cultures, with the chance of their arising independently nil).

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ran into this just now, bopping around. Apparently, these were recovered from underwater by a collector in Matthews County, Virginia.

Stuff is mind boggling !!!!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/va/mobjackrelics/trimble/ttasolutrean.html

This is interesting. The standard theory is the Bering land bridge, from what I've read. I never thought about coming across from Europe. It would be a whole different type of migration, but why not? Living on the ice, generation after generation, slowly moving westward, living from the sea. If all you know is ice and water, it's not a stretch of imagination. The time frame could have been tens, or hundreds of years to get here. Seems totally feasible to me.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.andywhiteanthropology.c...an-hypothesis-worth-about-10k-per-laurel-leaf

The author of the above mentions the points being hawked on “this forum”, but the link does not seem to load. But I’m sure this is the discussion and forum he is referring to, as I recall from when the discussion took place:

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum...gc8/178298-solutrean-american-artifacts/page3

Link above takes one to page 3, so you’ll have to go back to page 1 to see how that thread and pitch to sell the pieces progressed...

In any event, there are other links(including a thread that discusses valid questions regarding the circumstances of the Cinmar blade recovery), and food for thought, regarding these artifacts, including the Cinmar blade, at the links I’m providing here....

Hi Charlie

That link contained within Andy White's blog didn't work because it was to the former 'Arrowheadology' site, taken down a while ago and no longer operational. The poster there was using the screen name "Stone".

Your link to the 'arrowheads.com' site is for a similar discussion initiated there by "David Stone Sweet" and presumably the same person. I forget what screen name he was using, but as my moderator note says at the beginning of the thread, he was banned from the site. If my memory serves correct he then requested his name be removed from the user database, resulting in the remaining posts being assigned a default title of "Guest".

As you will know, but others may not, I'm "painshill" in that discussion.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And now that I've thought about it, I'll extend that idea. What if these were "Ice People," like Inuits, sort of? Generations of a people, that lived their entire lives on the sea ice. Had they followed the prey, all the way around, the maximum glaciation stopped around present Pennsylvania/New York, but the sea ice could very well have extended into the Virginia area. Looking at it that way, Solutreans could have very well been in the area. My reasoning as to the lack of DNA, is that these were Ice People, they only knew how to make their living on the ice, and a dry land existence may have been impossible to adapt to. They knew how to catch fish and kill seals, but taking down a mastodon might have been a bit much, out of their experience. They PREFERRED life on the ice. Just my random thoughts.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS: That thread was from 5 years ago and there have been more recent discussions on the arrowheads.com site about the current state of play for a possible Solutrean connection in the light of subsequent research and analysis. Still nothing conclusive though, and neither Stanford nor Bradley would say any different.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Redcoat --

Happily surprised that the venerable Painshill's been here all this time !

Glad to see (recognise) you.

Kray --

They may well have preferred what they were used to, but when conditions changed, they obviously changed along with them. Had they not, people wouldn't find characteristic Clovis(-Solutrean) technology from coast to coast, and northern South America to Alaska.

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Living off the ice. Hard to imagine life without turnip greens and hoe cakes.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The points posted look just like the old stuff from out west a long walk which ever direction early man came from . My sisters had there DNA done we thought there would be strong western native American but to our surprise it was just as strong to first nations group Nova Scotia and Europe .

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I never understood although I admit I have not done a lot of thinking on the issue why people try to fit the population of the American continents into a neat small time frame. Think of the thousands of miles of shoreline from the top of N. America to the tip of S. America that could have been landed on by any number of groups of seafaring peoples. To say that is was one small specific group that found their way here and then in the course of a few thousand years became the widespread, various language, different culture types of NA's we know lived here to me is absurd.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most important I formation I have gained from this thread so far is that the famous Painshill lives . great to know you are here sir. AlwYs a great resource on aology.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Roger Geach if I remember correctly you bloody Red-Coat! Hope that is grammatically correct by British standards! It's good enough for Alabama red necks! Glad to know you're still kicking buddy and I'm happy to see you here!

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roger Geach if I remember correctly you bloody Red-Coat! Hope that is grammatically correct by British standards! It's good enough for Alabama red necks! Glad to know you're still kicking buddy and I'm happy to see you here!

I'll say. His expertise was priceless in helping me with a white man pipe that I found in a creek.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread