Big Old Grinder???

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went kayaking on Sunday afternoon and came back with this lump. What do you think? the base is flat and scratched up; hard rock surface kind of bumply.

I"m guessing it's a tool of some kind, but don't know exactly. Grinder? What do you think this is?

IMG_0577.JPG

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My untrained eye says it’s a river rock that shows wear from numerous winter floods.
Did it come from the stream bank?

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Seems it would be smoother if it was used for grinding but something put those groves in it. I'm guessing it's a natural rock.

OP
OP
S

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know glacier striations. This was pulled from an area filled with mudrock and sedimentary rock, and it's an unusual kind of stone for the area. The base is flat. The major top groove is pretty wide. I appreciate that most celts will be smooth, but there's also a need for more raspy grinders, I think.

IMG_0579.JPG IMG_0580.JPG

OP
OP
S

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. But it stood out from the other stuff considerably.

OP
OP
S

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm reconsidering here: it occured to me that if I was using a grinder, I'd use the long side and whatever scratching would run in one direction.

I would think that's the usual usage.

The flat base really speaks to being a tool (yeah, I know rocks can have a flat side, but this is pretty more flat), though. The hard rock also does, being found in an area filled with soft rock.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe some poor soul in a gold field lacking a file touched up the edge of a shovel with it.

No indication of the areas context.
Desert S.W.? Maybe used on a battered machete.
A site on the East coast with known scrap metal being used to shape material?

Material looks like it would shed abrasive. So food/grain/nut grinding is out. Would be hard on the teeth.

Or it's just a scarred up rock.

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like plow scars. Could also be Prop scars from a boat motor. Either way not an ancient man made artifact imo...

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it found along a stream bed/bank?

All rocks have to be abused before they turn to sand.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
It also may be an abrader used during the flint knapping process. Never know for sure will we?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread