Native American artifacts on land - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Native American artifacts on land

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2016
    4931 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Pripyat View Post
    YESSSSS
    Attachment 1857733

[Edit] I'm such a moron.. I was excited to find it, didn't even think about my son. He was so upset, he only found 4 small pieces of flint... Wish I could go back in time and throw it back down for him to stumble upon. Sigh.

I guess I need to build my screen so I can get some good stuff to plant for him later.. lol.
    Like to hear some thoughts on that one. Careful not to drop it. That's a real possibility - trust me.
    Pretend like it's thousands of years old! Don't just hand it to someone..they will drop it.

Per your son not finding the daily winner..from the sounds of it, there will be more to find.
    You probably will not have to "plant anything". Kids have better eyes and are closer to the ground.

I understand what you felt.

I hope your find gives him some hope and pumps his ambition up to search a little harder next hunt knowing what is possible. Maybe with some help, he will find the next big one.

Might as well get used to it now, because someone else will always hook more fish or a bigger fish.
    Tdog and Huzzah! like this.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

Mar 2016
    4931 times
    Gently wash it, then take pictures of both sides.
    You will get more input as far as what you found.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

us
    Apr 2018
    Sand Hills Forest, SC
    BH LRP
    76 times
    More and higher quality pics in this gallery: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NQV2P95v81Y83TZXA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200820_201708.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	305.7 KB 
ID:	1857783

Name:	20200820_201657.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	298.3 KB 
ID:	1857784

Name:	20200820_201644.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	278.0 KB 
ID:	1857785

Name:	20200820_201622.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	282.4 KB 
ID:	1857786

I spoke with the neighbor at the property line earlier. He said that my land was the outskirts of the village, that the village itself was on the next field over (on his property). He said he has around 250 points that he has collected off the property over the years. He was set out to buy the land I'm on to search but it wasn't offered to him (we bought directly from the owner due to family connections).

Mar 2016
    4931 times
    I'm wondering if that is a preform or just crudely made because of the nature of the material?

us
    Apr 2018
    Sand Hills Forest, SC
    BH LRP
    76 times
    It's weird, the "unfinished" side works really well for the piece. If you closed your eyes and felt it in your hand, it doesnt seem unfinished (to my untrained eye, well - hand). When I was taking the pictures I realized how rough the one side looks but my thought was that they used that flat Edge to minimize strikes that could potentially, in my experience, break the piece in half LOL.

Mar 2016
    4931 times
    They were very skilled at working stone and while it resembles the shape of a point, I don't think you have a finished point there. I'm a complete novice at these things, so take it with a grain of salt.

us
    Apr 2018
    Sand Hills Forest, SC
    BH LRP
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    I don't think you have a finished point there.
    My son will be so happy to hear this if that's the case!

Mar 2016
    4931 times
    My son will be so happy to hear this if that's the case!
    Don't take my word on that! It's still cool and the story behind it may be more interesting...
    Usually don't hear crickets around here when something new is posted. Give it some time.

Another good photo to include is one looking at the base, that shows the thickness or profile of the piece.

I'm reading that the notches used to haft it to a shaft of some sort were usually added at the later stages of the process.

us
    Apr 2018
    Sand Hills Forest, SC
    BH LRP
    76 times
    I've got some ideas about a sifter.. trying to work out the logistics now. I plowed a much larger area, found a couple things while I was plowing.

This seems too perfectly rounded to be natural.

Name:	20200822_103420.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	1858050

Non native (to the hill) stone

Name:	20200822_103628.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	1858053

Is this modern or something old? I've only found this one piece. Reminds me of some fancy modern brick.

Name:	20200822_110445.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	1858055

Lastly, side profile of the mystery item:

Name:	20200822_080812.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	1858056

Name:	20200822_080719.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	1858057

us
    Banjo Man

May 2019
    East Central Alabama
    2122 times
    Relic Hunting
    pic1 - water worn rock
    pic2 - water worn rock (quartz)
    pic3 - piece of a dark colored brick
    pics 4 & 5 - some type of point

That point looks like it's made of the same material as your previous, unfinished point.

Savant Banjo Picker

us
    Mar 2013
    California
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro Tesoro Cibola Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
    3796 times
    Metal Detecting
    Anything man-made, and of great age, is, to me, precious...!
    I am what they call me, "Shovel Bum", so speak as an archaeologist.
    Those stones, look like weights for a net or bolo-throwing, entrapment tool/weapon...,
    I doubt they are gaming pieces.
    Fragments of this and that, have meaning, when referring to the complete artifact.
    And, just holding something so unique, is a privilege...!
    Carry on.
    Stick With It - It's not *IF* you'll find the good stuff , but WHEN!

May 2017
    Garrett AT Pro
    378 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Garscale View Post
    Check out... DIY screen shaker stand... Thread by txag. I bumped it to the top.
    Yes, hereís a link to my DIY Screen Shaker Stand. Garscale helped with the design and it turned out great. It is very sturdy and gets the job done. I did make one modification after a handful of uses - I swapped out the 30 Lb springs with 18 Lb springs which gives it more shaking action. I documented the build with a PowerPoint file which includes pictures, dimensions, parts, etc. I also built a spreadsheet with parts descriptions and costs. All this in case I ever build another one down the road. Hey, Iím an engineer (retired), I canít help it! If you would like the files, send me a PM with your email address and Iíll send them to you.

DIY Screen Shaker Stand

us
    Apr 2018
    Sand Hills Forest, SC
    BH LRP
    76 times
    Am an engineer also. If I get the free time to actually do it, mine will be a lot.... different.

Unfortunately I broke my plow a couple hours ago so I'll be welding that back together between this evening and tomorrow.

May 2017
    Garrett AT Pro
    378 times
    Metal Detecting
    Am an engineer also. If I get the free time to actually do it, mine will be a lot.... different.

Unfortunately I broke my plow a couple hours ago so I'll be welding that back together between this evening and tomorrow.
    Hee hee, you bet! Post pictures of it when you build it. Meanwhile, I hope you get the plow fixed and back to plowing. And keep posting your finds!

us
    Apr 2018
    Sand Hills Forest, SC
    BH LRP
    76 times
    Found a neat pottery piece.. I've been plowing like crazy but no rain in the forecast. :/

Name:	20200827_122331.jpg 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	1859245

Name:	20200827_122320.jpg 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	1859246
    Huzzah!, Target1972 and MAMucker like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links