Native American artifacts on land

Pripyat

Apr 30, 2018
Sand Hills Forest, SC
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased this land around two years ago, I just bottom plowed a portion and am finding a plethora of artifacts. There is one section, a 10 yard radius, where we've found half a dozen arrow heads, hundreds of flint flakes, multiple hammer stones, and a bunch of pottery shards. I'm in Patrick, South Carolina, in the sandhills. There is literally NO metal in this section of land. I went over it thoroughly on the highest sensitivity of my detector and found absolutely no steel or iron.

Can anyone comment on any of these items? Literally, the only thing I know, is that the arrowheads are made from chert? I don't know where the chert would have come from. I have no idea how to date the pottery, either. I am fairly certain the round stones are "hammer stones" for flintknapping but beyond that, I'm not sure if I'm looking at a bunch of random rocks or if any of them have any significant historical value. My son (7 years old) is freaking out, he has literally found more arrowheads than anyone else. He is now obsessed with native americans and was able to convince me to start learning to flintknap. Flintknapping supplies come in early next week. Any knowledge at all about any of the items I have here would make his day (or week). Thanks in advance!

Sorry it is so dim - Here is some chert?
flint1.jpg

More chert?
flint2.jpg

Pottery
pottery.jpg

Hammerstone?
hammerstone.jpg

Arrowheads, some incomplete
arrowhead.jpg

Misc rocks 1 of 2
rocks1.jpg

Misc rocks 2 of 2
rocks2.jpg

Lastly, the latest native american enthusiast, my son (with his two arrowheads he found in a 10 minute span).

MySonB.jpg

Gallery with more pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/68VvosyX5M4XX3Pu9

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Pripyat

Apr 30, 2018
Sand Hills Forest, SC
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone comment on the item that has the cortex attached? Is that a point? tool? Practice? debitage?

I've got a bunch more stuff I'd like to post with questions but don't want stuff to get buried.

Also, can anyone comment on what material these pieces are? I'm fairly certain it is chert, I have found what I believe to be chert on the property but it isn't workable. I'm wondering if it was heated?

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the base of an Adena/Gary/Dickson/loftin type point, I’m not sure I see the cortex but if so they must have been using a small cobble or an early removal flake to make it. The point was completed before the last of the cortex was removed.

OP
OP
P

Pripyat

Apr 30, 2018
Sand Hills Forest, SC
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The second picture in the post, if you zoom in and look to the left, you can see what may not be the cortex but is some sort of bands that are not the same as the rest of the white stone. I can't imagine that it would be easy to work which had me wondering if the piece started out at that length and was not broken after the fact.

Anyway, rocks like these.. Are these lines from plows or native americans? Are the little dimples natural or man-made?

20200914_130114.jpg

20200914_130106.jpg

Lastly, the neighbors found this guy about 600yards from my hill and would appreciate any input or comments.
20200914_130430.jpg

OP
OP
P

Pripyat

Apr 30, 2018
Sand Hills Forest, SC
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got some rain.

20200917_165916.jpg

20200917_170857.jpg

This is my favorite find to date. Found within 10ft of where we've found the 2 complete and probably 5 partial points, very pointy, I've been calling them Spitzers.
20200917_202527.jpg

20200917_202536.jpg

This is a traded knappable stone that has had flakes removed, correct?

[Edit] my son keeps asking me "did Indians use this?" to every rock he's picked up on our hill. He'll make me look through his collection to make sure I didn't miss anything. I've been occasionally getting very excited about a rock and then making up an absurd use for it. He thinks it's hilarious. He once found a "poop rock" that the Indians used for makeshift toilet paper (joke). Anyway, last night he is telling everyone that he found a native American belly scratcher and is walking around rubbing this big rock on his stomach. :laughing7: I'm still cracking up.

[2nd edit]
Here's what appears to be a point but is totally different from everything else we've found..
20200917_202238.jpg

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ur son looks/sounds interested and smart. Buy him some quality books and turn the tv internet off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pripyat

Apr 30, 2018
Sand Hills Forest, SC
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make a book recommendation and I'll order it today. I have to read with him every night. He'd love a book that is actually interesting.

This is the first point I have found made from quartz? This thing is tiny and a little bit curved but is definitely a complete product as the edges are finished all the way around the piece.

20200920_161751.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread