: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess: A stone handhold for a Bow drill to start fires. The bow drill uses the same principle as the hand drill (friction by rotation of wood on wood) but the spindle is shorter, wider (about the size of a human thumb) and driven by a bow, which allows longer, easier strokes and protects the palms. Additional downward pressure is generated by the handhold (stone?).

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not seeing anything in pictures to say it is anything but Natural, no sign of drill in hole, if it was used with bow drill you would think the inside would be a lot smoother.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Cabo! Take a look at Forum: New Mexico for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - You might consider posting your pictures on WHAT IS IT? for more exposure...

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering what type of material this is?
Seems pretty abrasive.

FD334C3D-04BA-4750-8F01-11CBB02621BE.jpeg

160DD62F-F78E-480B-B952-A1EE022B18BC.jpeg

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
C

Cabo

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2020
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe pumice is a much softer material. Believe this material would most likely scratch the porcelain :dontknow: Could it be used for war paint ? stick your finger into in and rub the paint on your face :laughing7:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man-made - that fine grain stone looks like granite.
Good Find! :icon_thumright:
It was used in part for drilling leather, hides, or may have been part of fire-making kit...!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was the setting in which it was found?

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best guess would be a quartzite but like a low grade metamorphism, leaving the sand grains intact. It would explain why the hole isn’t smooth, the grains were chipping out whole. Unfortunately I don’t have an opinion as to wether it’s an artifact, could have been used at one point but no definitive signs of human alteration.

OP
OP
C

Cabo

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2020
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Behind our home there is a cut into the side of a hill and apparently it washed down during a rain storm from the undisturbed soil above on to the ground near the back of our house.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
old...really old granite looks like that. As granite ages, it loses its cohesion and starts to fall apart into sand grains. I can't say it is an artifact, but it sure is interesting, especially given the material it is made from. Stone of that sort usually does not have natural holes, but may.

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best guess would be a quartzite but like a low grade metamorphism, leaving the sand grains intact. It would explain why the hole isn’t smooth, the grains were chipping out whole. Unfortunately I don’t have an opinion as to wether it’s an artifact, could have been used at one point but no definitive signs of human alteration.

Agreed. It’s quartzite, aka metamorphosed sandstone.

OP, have you found any other Native American artifacts in the region?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread