sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are Sheperdess's pictures. I numbered them so that she and others can make comments about them. Sorry that it took so long. Been a busy day.

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    657.3 KB · Views: 40
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 30
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 30
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    649.5 KB · Views: 34
  • s5.jpg
    s5.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 47

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few more. Love that corner tang.

Attachments

• s6.jpg
    s6.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 29
  • s7.jpg
    s7.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 28
  • s8.jpg
    s8.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 28
  • s9.jpg
    s9.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
Sheperdess

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture #1 & 2 I am comparing it to the one in my Dad's collection. I love the little divot on the end of his.

OP
OP
Sheperdess

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture #3 I wanted you to see that one side is flatter while the others are rounded.

OP
OP
Sheperdess

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture #4 I took it to the post office and weighed it. It's actual weight is 4.8, but it tipped the scale to 4.9 when I rolled it to the edge to fit it into the picture. Mine weighs a little more than Dad's.

OP
OP
Sheperdess

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture 5 I am showing the flat side of it, which I believe it would have been against the wood.
And #6 shows the polished sheen from use.

OP
OP
Sheperdess

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture 7 and 8 are my other finds of the day.
The Corner Tang was unbelievable! That made my summer!!

OP
OP
Sheperdess

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In picture 7... The stone in the center has a groove down the middle of it on bother sides. And another on the edge as I am showing in picture #9. This grinding stone shows very smooth wear on all sides except the one opposite where they used it to chop the heck out of something. It is an awesome tool!
My family has hunted this private land since the early 1960's. It has treated us well.
Now let's hear what you guys have to say.
A big thanks to Sandchip for communicating my pictures. And thanks to all else for you patience.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe both are artifacts but suspect neither are weights. I would guess both are loaf pestles .

OP
OP
Sheperdess

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are not ground down on the ends. The dark one IS an atlatl weight. State Archy told me that when he saw it. And I ask ed him because my Dad had said it was, and I wanted to be sure.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
They teeter on the edge for me.
Yes they could have been secured with wet rawhide or sinew for example. And would suffice for expedient weights.IF weight suited the users desired weight.

The wear suggests something else.
I'm no whiz with studying pictures though.

They have been handles since recovered. That adds oil. How much they had signs of oil when found could tell more if they were handled a lot prior.

Garscale mentions pestles.
Like others , there's lots of experience with artifacts behind that. More experience than mine.

Georgia , and more specifically the recovery sites and what existed at the time for nuts or grains a pestle would be used on is where I'd look next.
Yes , they could have been used on the flesh side of small thin hides to touch up areas of epidermis the scraper didn't get, but anytime my hand gets cramping ;it's the wrong tool or process...

Again , what existed in the suspected era? Pine nuts?
Were feather quills flattened before cutting?

Porcupines are not known (to me anyways) to have been in the state.
(A trader from Florida wanted them up here in the midwest years back at a shoot.)
Those quills are flattened to work with for quill work. I tried a knife back. A long enough pestle shape could be dragged along them.A thumb rest would help.

So , congrats on the relics. But I don't know what the suspected weights were used for for sure.
Context of the area and previously identified relics might help.
Though not all i.d.'s are accurate.

Aurora1959

May 29, 2019
Central New York State
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, that corner tang is a beauty, but the "atlatl weights" look like natural rocks IMHO. It seems like you've got a good hunting spot Shepherdess...keep posting pics of your finds!!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe both are artifacts but suspect neither are weights. I would guess both are loaf pestles .

From her scale they are only 3 inches long, or about the size of a lighter. I'd think that's a little small for a Pestle. I also don't see anything that says Atl-Atl Weight to me. Not seeing any grooves and the indentions could very well be natural. There are some nice pieces in picture #8, but everything else looks natural to me. JMO

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From her scale they are only 3 inches long, or about the size of a lighter. I'd think that's a little small for a Pestle. I also don't see anything that says Atl-Atl Weight to me. Not seeing any grooves and the indentions could very well be natural. There are some nice pieces in picture #8, but everything else looks natural to me. JMO
I hear you. I have seen cigar sized rocks like those well used to grind or work leather. From the pics I can't be positive they aren't natural. I am pretty sure they are not atlatl weights though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sheperdess

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so the scale leans towards it not being atlatl. That is what I needed to know. That is ok with me. I can picture it as a tool to rub across a hide. It fits my hand that way too. So I'll go with that theory. It makes sense. But, I must inform you all, that I have been hunting Indian artifacts for over 60 years. All rocks in my photos are Native American . I know the difference between a river rock or a natural stone and one that has been worked by Natives. Maybe you should check out some of my old threads. You will see some of my collection. I'd like to thank everyone for their input.

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stones are natural in the sense that they were shaped by nature, not human hands. There are creeks around me where stones like that can be picked up by the bushel. There is no need to modify them, whatever size or shape you want can be found with enough looking.

What makes them unnatural is the context they were found in, in a place they didn't belong and in association with recognizable artifacts. So, someone had the presence of mind to bring them there and they must have had some use. The wear pattern on the darker one in photo #1 is interesting in how it is heavier on one end and appears to extend around to the fatter end. One can easily imagine the narrower end (left side in the photo) being where it was gripped, tilted up slightly, and rubbed on something not terribly abrasive. Like a hide? Could be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions